Force email password for specific users are partial work from outlook

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have already enabled modern authentication by input following command from PowerShell

Set-OrganizationConfig -OAuth2ClientProfileEnabled $true

Verify that the change was successful
Get-OrganizationConfig | Format-Table Name,OAuth* -Auto

Also, I input following command for specific users from PowerShell in order to force to change their email password.

Set-MsolUserPassword -UserPrincipalName <username@mycompanydomain.com> -ForceChangePasswordOnly $true -ForceChangePassword $true

We have 10 users and I have typed ten times command from above script and change <username> only.

After that, only two users got the Outlook prompt to force to update their email password, the rest users' Outlook didn't show the prompt for the email password change.

Is there anything I missed steps?

Our users using Outlook 2013 and 2016 these two versions, OS are the Win7Pro to Win10Pro/Home.

Reference link:

https://www.michev.info/Blog/Post/1419/force-password-change-for-all-users-in-office-365

Appreciated if someone can help.

Jason

2 Replies
Password changes are not immediate, it might take a while (until the token has expired) for them to be enacted. For faster result, you can ask the user to login to OWA or any of the browser endpoints, preferably in a private session. Or just wait.

I though the Outlook will take immediately action, you mentioned .......until the token has expired.......can I find this information from MS official website?

However, I can wait, thanks your reply.