Focused Inbox keeps disappearing

Brass Contributor

Hi - I gotten used to Focused Inbox and quite like it.  However, it keeps disappearing on me.

On first load in the morning, Outlook shows Focused Inbox.  After processing the first morning's set of emails, I switch focus to other apps.  When I switch back to Outlook, the Focus Inbox has disappeared.  In addition, the option in the View menu to turn it on also disappears.

If I close and restart Outlook, it comes back, but will again disappear after while. 

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  I guess something is crashing, but I don't know how to trouble shoot this.

I am running Office Pro Plus Version 1810 (Build 11001.10060 Click-to-Run), 16.0.11001.20054.

51 Replies

@mirthrock 

okay, glad that worked out.

@Ash365   I'm having the same issue using:

Outlook Version 1907 (Build 11901.20176 Click-to-Run)

Monthly Channel 

(Current)

Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.885)

Checking for updates now and will let you all know..

Uninstall the Monthly channel Office and install the semi-annual channel of Office as its more stable.
What do you mean by 'channel'?

@Miles_10810 

One of the benefits of Office 365 ProPlus is that Microsoft can provide new features for Office apps on a regular basis, through monthly updates. However, as the admin who deploys Office 365 ProPlus to the users in your organization, you might want to have more control over how often your users get these new features. Microsoft provides you three options, called update channels, to control how often Office 365 ProPlus is updated with new features. Here's an overview of the three options.

Monthly Channel Provide users with the newest features of Office as soon as they're available.

Semi-Annual Channel - Provide users with new features of Office only a few times a year. Every six months, in January and July

Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) - Provide pilot users and application compatibility testers the opportunity to test the next Semi-Annual Channel. Every six months, in March and September.

Thanks

Robin Nishad

I have this same issue and have had it for over a year now - I run a fix or an update and it works ok for a while then it starts happening again.  I am on Windows 1903, Outlook 1908.

Today I tried quick and full fix options, neither has worked.  I removed focussed inbox from tool bar and readded it, but it won't appear in the ribbon now.

clipboard_image_0.png

@Andrew van Renen 

One possible solution: Try to add Focused Inbox back to the View ribbon

Open File > Options > Customize Ribbon

Under Choose commands from select All Tabs and under Customize the Ribbon select Main Tabs.

In the column on the right, select View.

From the column on the left search under View for Focused Inbox and if you see it, select it and click the Add >> button in the middle to add it to the View section on the right.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Akshay

@Akshay_Mane 

I've just started experiencing the disappearance of the Focused inbox. I'm on version 1909 (Build 12026.20264) and Monthly Channel, on a machine with Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362.356.

When I add the focused inbox back to the ribbon, it's greyed out and can't be selected.

@Robin NishadI have tried all the steps that have been recommended.  I have the same issue.  I am running Windows 10 version 1903; Office version 16.0.11929.20300.  The Focused Inbox disappears when I change to a different folder and back to Inbox.  Shutting Outlook down and restarting it solves the problem, but only temporarily.  I've updated Windows and reinstalled Office.  Still having the problem.  Any solution yet?

focus.JPG

Still happening at end of October 2019, outlook version 1909 build 12026.20344.  Been happening for about a month now.  Tried all the usual suspects outlined in this thread (quick repair, uninstall/reinstall, etc)

Here's the sequence that fixes/breaks focused inbox for me:

1. Launch Outlook. 

2.  Click Focused Inbox button in ribbon or in Quick Access toolbar.

3.  Restart Outlook

4.  Focused inbox will show up correctly at this point, and I can toggle it off/on with the button in the ribbon.

5.  As soon as I put the cursor in the "search" field, focused inbox goes away. I don't actually have to search anything, just clicking in the search box is enough.

6. Close Outlook

7. Go to step 1

Basically - the search feature breaks focused inbox, restarting outlook and turning it on brings it back.  Two restarts required.  As long as I don't have to search for anything (usually about a 3 minute time span) , it works great. 

January 2020 and I'm having this issue.. Windows 1903.18362.535 and Outlook 1908.11929.20516 (CTR)

I also have this problem. My company's IT department uninstalled and re-installed the entire Office suite on my desktop, but the problem persists and even when they tried to elevate the issue and contact Microsoft, they were told they needed an Admin on the phone in order to help, but that is not really feasible in this circumstance because the office admin is too busy to worry about my little preference issues.  Besides, every forum online seems to agree Microsoft does not have a fix for this. I am shocked that this known issue has not yet been addressed. So annoyed. @Andrew van Renen 

@Marastar OK got mine fixed finally.  It took an uninstall/reinstall of Office 365 but I had to also completely remove my .OST files.  I had several OST files for various email accounts that I had built over the years so I moved all my .OST files for those accounts to an offline location.  They were all in the multi-gigabyte range in size.  I also deleted the Outlook mail profiles in control panel that were associated with those accounts.  Uninstalled/Reinstalled office 365, built a new mail profile and let it generate a new .OST file and been working fine ever since.  

@deast 

Ugh. I have this problem too, but I hate the idea of losing access to .OST files. Very annoying problem. 

@DPugh1000  I spoke too soon!  As of 2 days ago, focused inbox is broken again in the same exact way it was before.  I guess it was a recent update that broke it.  Still works fine on my mobile outlook though.  My last fix lasted for a couple of months.  I'll  attempt to repeat the process I used before and see if it works twice in a row.... 

I had no old OST files to delete, as this computer had been recently wiped. IT dept in my office uninstalled and reinstalled Office suite, to try to fix the issue, but without luck. I can no longer get the Focued inbox to show up at all anymore (though the selection box in the "View" tab still appears, it does nothing) and am forced to implement many rules to keep the newsletters and the like out of the regular inbox. I am not happy about it, but it seems Microsoft has NO FIX for this issue.

I have a similar issue where the Focused Inbox completely disappears on the very first launch of Outlook. If I close Outlook and re-launch it, presto it's back. Very annoying. I am on version 1808 Semi-annual channel.

Opening a ticket with MS is not feasible for me, @Robin Nishad, as my company's IT providers tried to, but MS required an Admin present, but our Admins are too busy to bother with a tiny user preference issue like this that does not affect my workflow ( I have gotten good at implementing Rules to compensate for lack of "other" inbox).  I hope others will open tickets for this so that MS can become more aware of the issue and provide a fix available without having to call in the big wigs to deal with something that does not affect our ability to use Outlook, just makes it annoying.  

@CmbOsi   The issue has resolved for me for the time being.  No instant disappearing after a mailbox search.  Has been stable for couple of weeks or so.

I'm now on:

Outlook Version 1912 (Build 12325.20344 Click-to-Run)

Monthly Channel

Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.592)