Find Related does NOT work

Copper Contributor

Hi, Since I have updated my outlook account with the latest version, I am unable to use the find-related>messages in this conversation function.

8 Replies
Same issue in our organisation 500 staff effected. Please fix Microsoft!
Same here!

@Polat_Inec @gsdrrgrs 

Many users are having the same issue as you.

@Moses3000  posted the following solution.

The working syntax includes the bracket. That is [Conversation]:="Email Title". This feature is not working as the bracket is missed in the search syntax -> Converation:="Email Title". I encountered this issue when my computer upgraded to KB5007186.

Hi @Santanar00 Polat_Inec @gsdrrgrs 

I was unsure if you have been keeping up on all the dialog from other threads about the Find Related Conversations feature. 

Workaround #1 Moses3000 suggested using the brackets method:
The working syntax includes the bracket. That is [Conversation]:="Email Title." This feature is not working as the bracket is missed in the search syntax -> Converation:="Email Title." I encountered this issue when my computer upgraded to KB5007186.

Workaround #2 I provided the Show as Conversation Feature.

You can bypass the manual effort with Find Related Conversations and enable the Show as Conversation feature.  This option groups all related messages automatically in ascending or descending order. You can expand to see all messages.  When you move an email to a folder and choose "all mailboxes," all conversations in the inbox, sent, and other folders are shown.

Give it a try.  You will no longer have to find conversations manually.

• Select View | Add a checkmark by Show as Conversations | All mailboxes

Teresa_Cyrus_0-1637815285683.png

Fix Response: Then SamuelPegg spoke to MS and confirmed that the Find Related Conversation feature was deprecated in the recent upgrade.  The Show as Conversation is the alternative feature, or you can revert to the previous version.  Read the entire thread for details about reinstalling the correct version. 
Re: Find Related messages - Page 2 - Microsoft Tech Community

Teresa

#traccreations4e

@Teresa_Cyrus 

Nice workaround! there are 2 downsides for me:

1. The Show as conversation doesn't show my replies

2. Emails are no longer chronologically sorted

Btw, I cannot install another version since the computer is managed by IT.

Hi @Sanda_V,

What version of Outlook are you using? As shown in the image below, the group into conversation feature includes your replies and shows that it is saved in the Sent folder.  And all messages are in chronically order.  

By the way, I have the latest MS365 version.

If you find this post or other posts I generated, please mark it as the best response or like it, which will assist others with the same question.  Thank you in advance.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

group into conversation #traccreations4egroup into conversation #traccreations4e

Hi @Teresa_Cyrus

Thanks for the detailed answer. I do not have the latest build of Office 365 since updates depend on company policy. It's the build were they deleted the search by conversation.

The messages inside conversation are indeed sorted by date but because of this they are not sorted overall. Sometimes, people alter the subject and those emails will be considered a different conversation.

Even the simple replies aren't shown (with or without ticking the Show messages from other folders).

With search conversation the emails moved to custom folders showed up nicely, the column showing the folder was easy to read, no extra spaces between emails, all info like in a table.

I never liked or used this conversation view because it's adding extra row and indenting the messages. For me, simpler is better: I want to have all emails chronologically and see them grouped only when I search them.

I totally understand that this view is a good workaround for many people but for me it's just too heavy. I don't understand why MS removed a good old feature all together. The principle of "if ain't broken don't fix it" seems unknown to MS :(

Btw, I did found a solution: I use Search by conversation and them change to Search all items instead of current mailbox. Not to mention that here there is a bug as well: no matter what you select in File> Options> Search as default, only current mailbox is search at first.  

Why on earth would Microsoft decide to deprecate this feature? What could the possible reason be? A wonderful feature they just decide to take away. Who is in charge over there? How is it they make their software worse to use when they make so called upgrades. Just unbelievable. This will fall on deaf ears. Very strange.