Exchange online to Office 365 Exchange

Copper Contributor

I need to migrate < 35 email accounts from a hosted Microsoft exchange service. Specificaly that offered by iiNet. When I read the variouse migration options it never seems to refer to such a senario only on premises and hybrid models.

With the hosted exchange service I seem to have a limited access to the actual exchange server presumably because it is a multi-tenent service.

I have my users already in Office 365 with there primary address now firstname.lastname@mydomain.com (rather than firstname@mydomain.com) and whilst I need a form of cutover migration because I need to redirect the mx record I can see with limited user numbers all I need is a way to migrate existing emails, contacts into the new accounts.

I seem to have run down a lot of rabit holes trying to find the best or even a way to do this.

Has anyone done something similar and can you share the basic outline of how you proceeded?

1 Reply

It really boils down to what the hoster is allowing in terms of endpoints and so on, and you should definitely check with them. Worst case scenario, you will have to use a PST export/import or 3rd party tools.