Cannot start Microsoft Outlook

Copper Contributor

this is the message i have on my screen.........

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronise your folders with your Outlook data file (.ost)

does anyone in Microsoft know what this means and how to correct it, this issue has been going on for nearly 12 months now. i am using a different version of outlook that is not connected with Microsoft 365 and will not synchronise with all the apps in the Suite plus i pay a premium to use this and not have it work

2 Replies

Hi @NickND_R1234,

you can start by re-creating your Outlook profile:

1. Exit Outlook: Make sure Outlook is not running.

2. Open Control Panel: You can do this by searching for “Control Panel” in the Start menu.

3. Click Mail: In the Control Panel, you’ll find an option called “Mail”. Click on it.

4. Show Profiles: In the Mail Setup window that opens, click on “Show Profiles”.

5. Delete existing profile: Choose your existing profile and delete it
  6. Add Profile: Click on the “Add” button to create a new profile.

7. Name the Profile: In the “Profile Name” box, type a name for the new profile (you can type here what you want), then click “OK”.

8.  Configure the Profile: Follow the prompts to add your email accounts to the new profile.

If that does't help you can follow the steps in this article:
I can’t start Microsoft Outlook or receive the error “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open th...

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

So the original .ost data file is still there?