Cannot open Outlook

Copper Contributor

I keep getting the following error when I try to open up my outlook application.  This has just started happening the past couple weeks, prior to that I have had no problems. 

“Outlook cannot log on.  Verify you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name.  The Microsoft Exchange information service in your profile is missing required information.  Modify your profile to ensure that you are using the correct Microsoft Exchange information service.”

I have tried to go into my profile but do not see anywhere to change or view this information. 

10 Replies

@JMarlow54 

To see your profile you will need to go to 'Control Panel' > 'Mail' then you will see your Outlook profile. 

In your case you can create a new Outlook profile so while on the same 'Mail' windows > click 'Show Profiles' > click 'Add' > type profile name > 'Always use this profile' > then outlook will start provisioning your new profile > follow the prompts thereafter.

Let me know if this works.

Ash,MCE

@Ash365 

I am also getting this message.  And then I get a message that says "System resources are critically low. Close some windows." And then I get "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.  Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.  The information store could not be opened."  I had the program open and was using it.  And then it just quit on me.  Asked me for my password and then was done.

@JMarlow54 

I am having the exact same issue.

Try re-creating the Outlook profile and use cached mode. Make sure you are caching only 1 month of data because from the issue you are reporting, looks like Outlook is getting overwhelmed with the data it needs to grab from the server.

https://www.bemidjistate.edu/offices/its/knowledge-base/create-a-new-profile-in-outlook-2016-windows...

https://www.technipages.com/outlook-2016-enable-or-disable-cached-exchange-mode
Please see my response.

@Ash365 

Thank you for your reply.  I have some issues with your steps.  I don't know that I have control panel to set up a new profile.  The steps in the link you gave are not something I can even find to start.  I have a settings, but not a control panel in the way that it is shown on the diagram.  So cannot do that without an updated version of steps.  And the other issue is that I cannot even get Outlook Client to OPEN, much less change the cache settings. And none of the steps are current that I can tell.  Is there any way to link me with a current Windows 10 version of steps?  And if these are Exchange issues, the only account I have that is an Exchange account is my work, which was not allowing me to log in, so I deleted it altogether, but the problem got worse after doing so.  I don't think the other emails are set up on Exchange.  Please advise.  Thank you so much!

@JMarlow54 

@singinghymns 

@LeslieB 

Try creating the profile using SARA - you can download it from the below link...

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Secondly did you notice if the issue is happening in safe mode or not..?

Thanks

Robin Nishad

@Ash365 

I followed your suggestion and changed my profile and am still getting the same error message. I started my Outlook setup with my personal email account. Then added 2 work accounts and I want to access my email for all of my accounts. 

I am the same as @FrankCodi , tried all that. Now I get screen saying” Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened”

I can’t just delete everything, and try something else as it has all my historical stuff in there, somewhere. 

it is very frustrating.

can anyone help, back in my sixties I was on top of all this, has it got harder?