Can't see sender email address (Outlook web)

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I've noticed recently that I am not able to see the sender email address for some emails. Why? How can I fix this?

Example:

no sender email.png

If I place the mouse on the sender I see my own email address:

myself.png

I don't have this problem with most of my emails:

sender.png

sender email.png

When I check the source of the TV Licensing email what I see is:

Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 03:05:34 -0700

Subject: Your TV Licence expires today

Message-ID:

<DB8PR02MB58514A4F8FBCF5689D1322CFDCBC0@DB8PR02MB5851.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com>

From: TV Licensing <myemailaddress@hotmail.es> , <sirajul_islam1987@hotmail.co.uk>

To: myemailaddress@hotmail.es

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 09/04/2021:

---------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I have bad news. Scammers are taking advantage of this bug. Yesterday I got two new emails (indeed both emails were exactly the same) trying to scam me.

The procedure is similar to the TV Licensing email. This time, when I place the mouse over the email, I don't see the sender email address:

xerez1947_2-1617976581985.png

If I place the mouse over a legitimate email, I can see the sender email address:

xerez1947_3-1617976647088.png

This behaviour is different from the TV Licensing email. In the TV Licensing email I see my own email address as sender email address, while in these two new emails no email address is shown.

Moreover, if I check the message source of any of those two scamm emails, what I see is the following:

Sender: BitcoinSystem <noreply@pccomponentes.com>

To: xxxxxx@hotmail.es<xxxxxx@hotmail.es>

Subject: xxxxxx ¡Tiene un pago agregado a su cuenta! Necesitamos una Confirmación

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 16:57:19 -0400

I have replaced the first part of my email address by "xxxxxx".

Anyway, as you can see the field "Sender" tells me that the sender email address is "noreply@pccomponentes.com", however, the "From" field tells me the real sender email address which is "enzo@newsletter.spartoo.com".

Finally, I have on my phone (Android) the Outlook app installed. When I check this scam email on my phone, the thing is even worse, because the app shows "noreply@pccomponentes.com" as sender email. This email address is a legitimate email from the website https://www.pccomponentes.com/. Therefore, some non-advanced users could easily fall into this scam thinking PC Componentes is really sending them an email...

xerez1947_5-1617977322703.png

Everything this is slightly different from the TV Licensing email, but the final result is pretty much the same. Hence, scammers are taking advantage of this bug and even finding more sophisticated ways to scam people.

Thankfully, I am an experienced user, but I am pretty sure that many users will be scammed.

It's been almost one year since I post this message and nobody has fixed this bug. Apparently, Microsoft doesn't care about their users security. Maybe is time to switch to another email provider...

22 Replies

Almost a year later, but I'm having the same problem. This makes it a lot harder to filter out phishing emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck trying to find a solution. I got in touch with Microsoft using 3 different chats/contact forms and nobody was able to help me. The only solution provided by those agents were to refer me to a different Microsoft team using a new and different form. I wasted a lot of time explaining this problem every time I contacted Microsoft. Apparently, they don't know who can fix this bug or they don't care about it.

Anyway, if you eventually find a solution, please let me know, I am still worried about this problem.
Hi, thanks por replying, but unfortunately the content of the link is completely useless.

Firstly, as I stated in the title of this discussion, the problem is with Outlook Web, not Outlook for Desktops.

Secondly, as I showed in the in the description I already know how to check the real source of the email. The problem happens on some emails when you hover the mouse over the email. It says that the source is my own email address when in fact it is not. Moreover, when I open the email and I check the "from" field, it only displays a name, but not an email address (Please see images 1 and 4 of the main message of this discussion. It clearly says "TV Licensing" with no email address (this is a phising email) while the legitimate email shows "Yelmo Cines <info@news.yelmocines.net>").

Unfortunately I have bad news. Scammers are taking advantage of this bug. Yesterday I got two new emails (indeed both emails were exactly the same) trying to scam me.

The procedure is similar to the TV Licensing email. This time, when I place the mouse over the email, I don't see the sender email address:

xerez1947_2-1617976581985.png

If I place the mouse over a legitimate email, I can see the sender email address:

xerez1947_3-1617976647088.png

This behaviour is different from the TV Licensing email. In the TV Licensing email I see my own email address as sender email address, while in these two new emails no email address is shown.

Moreover, if I check the message source of any of those two scamm emails, what I see is the following:

Sender: BitcoinSystem <noreply@pccomponentes.com>

To: xxxxxx@hotmail.es<xxxxxx@hotmail.es>

Subject: xxxxxx ¡Tiene un pago agregado a su cuenta! Necesitamos una Confirmación

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 16:57:19 -0400

I have replaced the first part of my email address by "xxxxxx".

Anyway, as you can see the field "Sender" tells me that the sender email address is "noreply@pccomponentes.com", however, the "From" field tells me the real sender email address which is "enzo@newsletter.spartoo.com".

Finally, I have on my phone (Android) the Outlook app installed. When I check this scam email on my phone, the thing is even worse, because the app shows "noreply@pccomponentes.com" as sender email. This email is a legitimate email from the website https://www.pccomponentes.com/. Therefore, some non-advanced users could easily fall into this scam thinking PC Componentes is really sending them an email...

xerez1947_5-1617977322703.png

Everything this is slightly different from the TV Licensing email, but the final result is pretty much the same. Hence, scammers are taking advantage of this bug and even finding more sophisticated ways to scam people.

Thankfully, I am an experienced user, but I am pretty sure that many users will be scammed.

It's been almost one year since I post this message and nobody has fixed this bug. Apparently, Microsoft doesn't care about their users security. Maybe is time to switch to another email provider...

Hi Thank you for your feedback and a lot of work it really helps. There is what is more and more scammers - of course you marked the sender as an attempt to extort because only so it is that you block it and Microsoft has such an email sender in the list = spammer , or is blocked for all Office 365 so it works = but not aware is very much yours
Hi, in this case marking the email as phishing and report ir to Microsoft doesn't help. If I do it, Microsoft may block the sender email address, but the real problem would still be there. The scammers only need a new email address to continue their work, while people will still see their own email address or a legitimate email address as the sender email address. This is the real problem here.

Moreover, in the case of the TV Licensing email, the "From" field has two email address, the scammer's one and my own email address. What would happen if I report that email to Microsoft? Would they block my email address?

By the way, since I updated this case the 9th of April, I have receive two new emails using taking advantage of the same bug.
Hi I certainly will not block your address because it will be a detailed report about the sender and it will not be what you see only the sender's IP, etc. and block this sender and from this address nothing will come to you for sure, provided that you have not given your consent in any agreement!

@A1Hi, thanks for replying, but like I said before, the problem is not one scammer email address, the problem is that Outlook has a serious security issue with this bug.

I can block the email addresses of those scammers, that's easy, but it will not fix the problem, that is only a workaround to me, but what about the other millons of Microsft users that are receiving these emails and they are not able to identify the email as phising because the sender email address is legitimate to them? This is not a solution.

By the way, on Monday I got a new scam email using the same bug, and today a new one. Different email addresses. Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP!!!!!

I really doubt you work for Microsoft.
Hi You are wrong a lot, but Outlook can not block for no reason mail to you! If it is not on the block list, or has not been registered as a phishing! ! I see that you are involved and have knowledge about it, so it is best to contact Office 365 support of which Outlook is a part and there present copies of information that will reach directly to the Office 365 Team are great people surely your application will take seriously you can also attach a link to this thread in the MTC which will be part of the information! Thank you

@A1Hi, do you know which contact form should I use to contact Office 365 support team? Because I tried to contact several times to Microsoft using different chats/forms and none of them seem to be right one.

Thanks.

Hi!
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender/advanced-hunting-query-emails-devic...
https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/use-the-delist-portal-to...

In this 2 link should be the correct form to which you will need to log in, this will be the right place- I can not share it on the Forum MTC Good luck I'm happy with your commitment!

Hi, thanks for the links, although I think they're not contact forms, or at least I don't see a way to report anything.
Hi, thank you for the information. I don't see any direct form I can fill with all the information I gathered, so I will follow the recommendation of the third link and simply report the emails from Outlook, as usual. Hopefully they will fix this in the next 10 years when a lot of people has been scammed.

@xerez1947 

Hi, because still someone is trying to deceive you and it takes a very long time - I would be interested in this topic police - there are specialized people who have the right tools to check it to protect others - from scammers.

Good luck Andrew 

Fast forward to December 2022. The issue still exists and now the spammers/scammers/phishers who are sending hidden sender email address emails have also disabled the sweep function of their emails. Sweep function is available on legitimate emails, not the new wave of hidden sender email address scam emails.

Hi @charismatic100 

Thank you for being with us again!

if it is an address that has been associated with the services, or is part of 2MFA, it is worth changing this address to another, check whether the security services have changed to a new address, and this just needs to be removed, of course I would do so, it is not worth fixing it a waste of time.

Please read this article, it is worth sending suspicious emails for check:

How To Get Less Spam in Your Email | Consumer Advice (ftc.gov)