android outlook server search not working

Copper Contributor

Installed outlook for android today and configured an IMAP account.

When doing a search no results show up even though all categories is checked. I am 100% sure there should be results as there are many emails on the server matchig the search query.

Is there a query language I should be aware of and be using or is the server search not working?

6 Replies
Thanks Akshay but that did not work for me.

@diversity_ I have the same issue. Did you find a solution for it?

@tibisz13 

I never did, my solution is to slowly abandon MS and it's OS'S and services step by step

@diversity_

Same here, search doesn't work

I uninstall app, installed it again and works first couple of minutes, than later after hour or two again can't find nothing 

Same problem here. Having spent almost one year trying to solve this and many times tried consulting Microsoft about this fatal issue, I am about to give up and cancel my Microsoft subscription for good. Has anybody solved this problem beyond rebooting, reinstalling, repairing index in MS Outlook on the computer?

I currently have more than 100.000 emails that I cannot search on my phone.

My patience is running thin
I had this problem for 2 years, Android Outlook Search never found anything (though it used to work, and reinstall did not help). Search worked fine on my wife's Galaxy S22, but not mine, so I compared them. Same app version, but hers had the Home icon in the upper right of the screen after tapping Search. MINE DID NOT.

We both use an IMAP mail server as our primary mail account, but I noted she had also added her Yahoo mail account into her Outlook, while I only had one account. It seems the Home icon is only there if you have multiple accounts. I added my Yahoo mail account, then saw the Home icon, accessed the drop down, chose ALL, and now search works fine, including searching in my IMAP mail.

More details:

Unfortunately, you get duplicates. I see that if I delete a Yahoo mail message from my phone app, the mail disappears on the Yahoo Mail website (good), but it does not work the other way around (bad).

I rarely check or use Yahoo mail for anything at all, so I am not overly concerned.

I tried deleting the Yahoo mail account from my phone in the hope the search function was permanently fixed by adding it the other day. But no, as soon as I deleted that account on my phone, the search function was broken again.

Lastly, with the two accounts added to the app, the search works fine, but only in All Accounts mode. Selecting just my IMAP mail results in nothing found. Selecting both finds words in both accounts.