SOLVED

Adding two accounts with the same address to Outlook

Copper Contributor

I recently got an Office 365 account from my workplace, but it's not connected with our Exchange account. This means when I log in at micorosoftonline.com with my Office 365 account, I can't see any of my regular Exchange e-mails. On the other hand, I can't see appointments from inside of Microsoft Teams in my Exchange calendar.

I tried adding both accounts to Outlook 2016 (from the Professional package) on my Windows 10 computer, but since it only asks for the e-mail address, it seems to be impossible. Once I've added one of the two accounts, I can't seem to be able to connect the other one as well, since "this e-mail address is already in use". Is there a workaround for this problem?

9 Replies

@SarahPohl 

It sounds very much like you have separate on-premises and cloud identities in your organisation, resulting in one for mail, and the other for Teams.  Are you the Administrator in your organisation please?

@PeterRising That is correct, and no, I am a simple user, not an admin. They made it clear that this is on purpose as well.

best response confirmed by SarahPohl (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@SarahPohl 

If that is the case then you are in the hands of your Administrators then I'm afraid.  It may be that they have a good reason for configuring things this way for the time being.  Have you explained to them the impact of this issue?  I am presuming you will have. :smile:

@PeterRising Thank you for the clarification. I was hoping - since I can add both accounts to Outlook mobile - that there would be a way for the desktop version as well.

Follow these steps to connect a Yahoo Mail, AOL, or other email account to Outlook.com.

Select Settings Settings > View all Outlook settings > Sync email.

Under Connected accounts, select Other email accounts.

On the Connect your account page, enter a display name (the name recipients will see when they receive an email message from you) and the full email address and password of the email account you want to connect to your Outlook.com account.

Notes:

If you've turned on two-step verification for your connected account, you'll need to create an app password for that account. Go to your provider's account security page to create the app password, and then return to Outlook.com to enter that password on the Connect your account page.

Two-step verification makes it difficult for someone else to sign in to your email account. It uses two different forms of identity: your password and a contact method, such as a PIN or security code. Your email provider should have information on their web site about setting up two-step verification.

Select OK.

@SarahPohl  That is a side effect of direct connect. You should be able to fix it with two registry keys. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\autodiscover
DWORD: ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint
Value = 1
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\outlook\autodiscover
DWORD: ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint
Value = 1

I have a ready to use registry file in this article, so you don't need to edit the registry yourself. 

https://www.slipstick.com/office-365/directconnect-office-365/

@Diane Poremsky 

I wonder if you can help me.  I have a problem with two different Microsoft accounts with the same email address - one a personal account, and one a work account which was autocreated when I was given access to Teams content on a client's system.

I have tried to delete the 'work/school' version of the account completely, using https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/delete-microsoft-work-or-school-account/cbd21... but although I can no longer log in using that address it is clear that the account is still out there, somewhere, as when I try to log in to OWA I have the selection screen to choose Personal or Work/School.

So, ideally, I would like to work out how to delete completely the Work/School account.

But, first of all, I am unable to re-add the account to Outlook (it stopped working so I tried to remove and re-add) as there is, I presume, some sort of conflict which the autodiscover is facing.  

I have tried the Test Email AutoConfiguation and have got this (attached).

Is this anything you could help with? 

@mahumphreys is the email for the personal account hosted in outlook.com - ie, do you have a premium account with the domain hosted in outlook.com?  If not, you will need to use manual set up to add it to your profile. 

@Diane Poremsky Yes, it's Premium and hosted by Outlook.  It worked previously to the 'other' account being created in a Work/School domain, but now I get a simply 'Something went wrong' message.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SarahPohl (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@SarahPohl 

If that is the case then you are in the hands of your Administrators then I'm afraid.  It may be that they have a good reason for configuring things this way for the time being.  Have you explained to them the impact of this issue?  I am presuming you will have. :smile:

View solution in original post