SOLVED

Active Directory signature script no longer working correctly in outlook if version is office 365

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We have a vbscript that creates an email signature from LDAP which we have used for about 10 years or so.

Running the script will take the users information from our AD and then create and save a signature in outlook.exe under the users email account

However in the last month or two it has stoped functioning correctly for anyone who has office 365 installed

(We use Exchange 2016 for our email server our emails arent using microsoft online services)

we have roughly 20% of our users using O365 the rest use Home & Business 2019/2016

basically when O365 users run the script it is saving the signature under 'Signatures on this device' instead of the users email account

This is a script I have inherited, I know very little of programming and I am not sure how to fix this so it functions correctly, can anybody help me with this?

Many Thanks

4 Replies

@SaintKev I've also noticed this, and from what I can tell it's because the location that signatures are saved to has changed. In our case, we are in a hybrid environment. My temporary solution is to go into the signature setup in Outlook, switch the account to "On this device", and copy that over to the default account. I'm hoping to find a better solution to this as well. 

@SatSameer
I thought this was the case. so I have done the steps you suggested below, it is still putting the signature in the same file location (appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures) the only difference is after creating the new signature is adds the email address in brackets at the end. for example the script produces the file signature.htm after copying and pasting etc etc it creates signature (emailaddressiswrittenhere).htm

I wonder if thats it? I maybe need to amend the script to append the email address at the end of the file name. I will do some testing and update later in the week. Thank you for responding.

best response confirmed by SaintKev (Copper Contributor)
Solution
@SatSameer

I have resolved it, have a look at this thread and do the regedit mentioned. Now seems to be working fine thankfully
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook/outlook-roaming-signature-vs-signatures-on-this-devic...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SaintKev (Copper Contributor)