0xCAA80000 outlook 2016 'You need internet for this'

MVP

Hi,

Situation:

I have Outlook 2016 (ProPlus) with 4 Office 365 accounts.
Since yesterday I account is not connecting to Office 365 anymore, I get error code 0xCAA80000 'You need internet for this'

Other accounts in same Outlook 2016 client are working fine.

The account with the error is working perfectly in Outlook Web Access and Mobile ...

Not found a solution yet - any suggestions ?

Thxs! ;)

29 Replies

Same problem here. Any updates?

he issue seems to lie with Microsoft's Azure AD Broker which handles your Office 365 account authentication in Windows 10. Office 2016 will try to use this authentication method by default and all things being well, it's much better than the legacy approach. Unfortunately it looks like the token for your account can become corrupted (unsure what caused it, maybe AV), and no amount of disconnecting and reconnecting your account will refresh the token.

I take no responsibility for software or data loss if you manage to somehow bork up your system.

Open Event Viewer (quick way to do this is Start -> type "eventvwr.msc") and navigate to Windows Logs -> Security.
- If you've just tried to use your account under an Office program you may notice both Audit Failure and Success being logged in quick succession.
- Scroll down on an Audit Success until you find 'Key Name' looking something like this "***_microsoftonline.com". If the entry you've selected doesn't contain this line, find a logged entry which does.
-Under 'Key File Operation Information' you should find 'File Path'. Mine was C:\Users\BobSled\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\Microsoft\Crypto\TokenBindingKeys\Keys
fb47a8d42be514593f982d4b0d7edd08_90cb05ef-cd90-4066-aafe-3397eb8039a5_4068bc0f75fd0f09b9c2c7507f15f982
- Start -> Type 'Run' -> Type "%localappdata%\Packages" and hit Enter - Scroll until you see a folder starting with "Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_". Open it. Then open AC\Microsoft\Crypto\TokenBindingKeys\Keys.
- In this folder is the offending file, matching the Event Log entry you found above, so we'll rename the file to something expressive of our frustration. Right click -> Rename. I suggest adding something like "stopwastingmytime_".
- Reboot.

- from somewhere in the internet

Hi,

Pls. let me the solution if you have because we are facing the same issue. Along with this issue, most of the time a dialog appears and ask to Enter the password continuously where we are using SSO.

'0xCAA80000 outlook 2016 'You need internet for this'

'Enter the password for abc@com'

Thanks in advance!!

have you tried the suggestion stated above?

@Marcel Alberts please try another network like personal network. May be firewall is blocking your connection. please try your phone hotspot and try..

@Marcel Alberts wrote:

Hi,

Situation:

I have Outlook 2016 (ProPlus) with 4 Office 365 accounts.
Since yesterday I account is not connecting to Office 365 anymore, I get error code 0xCAA80000 'You need internet for this'

Other accounts in same Outlook 2016 client are working fine.

The account with the error is working perfectly in Outlook Web Access and Mobile ...

Not found a solution yet - any suggestions ?

Thxs! ;)

is this still an issue for you @Marcel Alberts?

I was searching for the same solution since I also expeirienced the same issue - 
Here's the solution works for me:

1. Go to Windows Settings
  2. Choose Accounts
  3. From the left pane, choose Email & Accounts
  4. Click/Select your Windows Account and hit Manage button
    1. You'll be redirected to https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/r/#/profile
  5. The Click Sign out everywhere
    1. Close the browser
    2. Close the Outlook app and reopen
  6. Done

@Marcel Alberts 

here is what i did

i went to https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/r/#/profile

Under " Devices & Activity " i have disabled my PC that is using Outlook client.

I have closed my outlook and reopened.

It asked me to Authenticate to my Work account once i did that with my Single Sign on. I am all set.

Again to check i went https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/r/#/profile and i found my PC name under Devices & Activity.

All good now.

Cheers,

Kiran

In  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity"  create  dword entry EnableADAL  with value 0

@Marcel Alberts I know this is an old post, but we were also getting a similar error when logging in a Teams and Office on just one machine, so posting this fix here as it took a few hours to fix and is a really easy fix and not seen this posted in any other forums. We just enabled TLS 1.1 and 1.2 in IE.

FYI for those above an newcomers - I had an issue similar to this with
0xCAA80000
api-c97d7c50.duosecurity.com
messages when the Duo security screen should have appeared for MFA approval;
deleted token similar to EMAILL above mentioned - except my fix was in \appadata\LocalLow\ instead of local appdata.
Specifically, "C:\Users\MeMyselfandi\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Crypto\TokenBindingKeys\
and it was just a folder in there.
This worked after trying Windows updates, clearing IE / Chrome / Edge Cache, enabling TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 for Internet Options, multiple reboots, testing sign-in on another device (successful), testing other user sign-ins on troubled device (same error), even authorizing a bypass for Duo (it didn't care).