Why do I not have permission to access a brand new notebook that I just created in the web app?

Steel Contributor

OneNote has been driving me crazy and I cannot fathom why it's so difficult to access my notes without some kind of permissions or syncing issue.

After the Windows 10 app refused to let me access my primary notebook (despite opening it from the web app), I re-logged into the app to see if that would restore permissions, but no luck.

So I created a brand new notebook from the web app and got as far as creating a new section before the same issue appeared.   

How and why am I locked out of a brand new notebook in the web app?   Am I missing something, or is this experience broken?

4 Replies

Hi @AlexH980 - in your OneNote Windows 10 app, have you already added the same account that's associated to the OneNote in the web? If you click on the settings cog in the top right > Settings > Account, you may need to add the account there.

On your Windows 10 machine, is the account associated to your OneNote on the web added as a user? That may help as well.

@Kelly_Edinger yup.  I even logged out and back-in again to see if that would resolve the issue, but no luck.

@AlexH980 
Did you find a solution? Same issue here and it's super annoying.

@misaifan I don't think I found a solution but I'm not locked out of any notebooks at the moment.

Either MS fixed something on their end, or I abandoned the notebook and forgot about it.