The Future of OneNote

Iron Contributor

I read several articles last week that quoted a Microsoft spokesman as saying that Microsoft is no longer developing new features for UWP apps since they have halted work on Windows 10 Mobile.

The spokesman went on to say "We are currently prioritizing development for the iOS and Android versions of our apps; and on Windows, we are prioritizing Win32 and web versions of our apps"

Does this imply that the OneNote is being abandoned by Microsoft? I am inferring this because OneNote Win32 is NOT being developed for Office 2019 and, according to last week's quoted Microsoft announcements, Office UWP Apps are being abandoned by Microsoft.

Please let us know the future of OneNote, in detail.

Thank you.

4 Replies
I am pretty sure, that OneNote will not dissapear anywhere. If it won't be in Office 2019 package, they will introduce standalone installer before UWP version is taken down.

Don't worry, Microsoft got you covered... read this article!

It's recent news and Microsoft has already started releasing updates for the UWP version of OneNote. Biggest advantage of the UPW app: it's consistent in features and usability across all platforms! :)

cheers

Simon

NB! Standalone installer is allready here - without option to select language nor 32/64 option

In a recent article they are abandoning development of the desktop app, in favor of the UWP version. I highly favor the more powerful desktop version.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/The-best-version-of-OneNote-on-Windows/ba-p/1...