Sharing OneNote with external users

Copper Contributor

Hello,

What is the correct procedure to share an Office 365 OneNote with external users? Can this be done from within the OneNote application itself?

Based on my experience it is only possible for OneNote on OneDrive (consumer) but I'm having trouble to share it externally when it is hosted within Office365.

Bart

6 Replies

Hi Bart,

this should be possible but can you explain your exact steps?

Kr,

Paul

Hi Paul,

When you have a OneNote on SharePoint Online, open it in the windows client and share it with an external user via an MS account. The external user gets an error message, he's unable to log in and access the OneNote (user is not in the address list error).

Bart

Hi Bart,

I've just recreated the sharing conditions you've described and the sharing from my 365 domain to a commercial microsoft account worked correctly from inside the client.

Remember the big caveat with OneNote which is that it's an "all or nothing" sharing model so make sure to always split out to Customer facing notebooks etc.

Have you also tried recreating the sharing experiment with an external email that would need do the 1 step sign up to make a microsoft account?

Regards,

Antony

I would like to also have with the onenote the same iframe embedding possibility which word and powerpoint docs has. With some url modifications I could do this but there will be all the onenote toolbars in the top of the iframe. I would like to only embed my content.

You could share with externals people with Onedrive or SharePoint or Office groups. > With OneDrive, you could create a notebook directly drom OneNote or through Internet Explorer in your OneDrive environement (create a new notebook option available) - do not forget to manager grant access > in SharePoint, you must create a folder, share it a create a notebook and open it after with OneNote > office group : same settings
As far as I know, sharing a notebook with externals need to change setting in advance.

O365 Portal > Admin > App Setting

Of course you need admin authority to be there. Then there is a general setting page where you can setup which version of office enable to use, scroll down a little from there you will find the function.

Hope it helps.