OneNote Keeps Jumping to the top of the Page

Brass Contributor

This is probably the most annoying bug out there. This issue has been ongoing for years now and it seems like Microsoft is not fixing this issue. I have searched through multiple threads and I haven't found any solution for this...

Microsoft OneNote constantly jumps to the top of the page when looking at an inserted PDF. This usually happens when I'm scrolling with my MacBook Pro trackpad.

I'm begging anyone who has a solution to this to speak up. It is extremely annoying having to scroll back to a specific page on a 40+ page document. Sometimes, it happens every 30 seconds or so and it makes the user experience almost unbearable at this point. The only reason I haven't switched away from OneNote is that I have all my other notes on this program. PLEASE HELP!!

Details: Microsoft OneNote 16.45

MacBook Pro: MacOS Catalina 10.15.2

23 Replies
Yea I have exactly the same issue. It usually happens when I use my pen to write something on a document opened in onenote.

If someone has a solution to this please create an account asap and post the answer here. It's just so annoying.

Thanks
I also have this problem on my Microsoft Surface Pro 6! I don't have a fix, but I have a way to cope with the issue.

For especially long documents, every few pages, I make sure to write something big (like the size of that page) next to that page. I usually write a topic word. That way, when it jumps, I can easily zoom out and find my place. It also helps me when I'm reviewing later to find a specific topic/subtopic in that paper/ppt/pdf at a glance. The process is a little tedious, but I'm a teaching assistant during a pandemic and when I have 30 people watching my screen, it's SOOO problematic that every few minutes I have to stop and find my place again. This way, I find my place faster.

I also noticed that it happens more when I'm zooming in and out while annotating with the pen. So I try to use my mouse to scroll to resist the urge to zoom in and out. Even though I literally need to zoom in and out during my teaching sessions to bring emphasis to certain points.

This is definitely not a fix to the actual issue. I'd be so grateful if anyone could find a real fix.
January 18th, 2022, this issue still happens to me every single day ........
It only happens when annotating with my stylus and I zoom in our out with my fingers, I don't know why this is still an issue it's embarrassing that after this long Microsoft still can't fix it.
March 4, 2022, and this has happened to me enough times in the past 10 minutes for me to find this forum. (feels like a journal entry reading through the replies at this point...)

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1. I get the same issue when using OneNote for Windows 10. I have been experiencing this issue for many months as well (essentially since I got this laptop). I agree it has gotten to the point of being borderline unbearable.

March 21, 2022, still experiencing this bug every day while taking notes for my classes. OneNote keeps glitching out when annotating on inserted PDF's and jumps to the very first page every time, taking a long time for the pages to load back in. When is this going to be fixed...

Still having issues with OneNote windows 10 edition, looking for a replacement at this point...

@Hosssss 

This happens to me when I come from one page to another. Really no rhyme or reason to it and it is annoying! If I had to say when it started, I would guess- about a year ago. I upgraded to WIN 11 pro and still it is happening every time I use OneNote which daily on my DELL OptiPlex 7060 :( 

created an account just to rant about this
August, 11th 2022 and this is still happening. I've been using OneNote for the last 3 years at my School and everyone there are always complaining about this annoying bug happening all the time. The phrase "Scheiss OneNote", which is polite German for "f***ing OneNote" is so commonly spoken aloud from both students and teachers. I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft even cares...
Yes, it only happens with PDFs, but inserting PDFs into OneNote is a supported feature, so get your head out you a*s and bloody fix it! 97% of our School material rely on long PDF scripts!

(https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/microsoftfeedback)

"We welcome feedback from our customers"
pathetic!

This has been a globally reproducible bug for the last 4 years, yet, despite tons of complaints, NOTHING has been done about it!
(earliest record i can find is this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/onenote-keeps-scrollingjumping-away-when-i-zo...)

I'm very sorry for the profanity and tone, but when faced with such absurdity I revert to primal instincts.

I get it. Software development is a hard line of work. If Microsoft has tried fixing it but can't manage for some reason, I respect that, but then at least tell us something. But ignoring the dumpload of complaints just isn't right.

AUGUST 14TH and still no solution, OneNote is still buggy and always glitches the screen out every day.
@Pernille-Eskebo .. People are buying a Surface Pro for over thousand dollars from you, buy your software .. and you can't make your products, that were ment for eachover work together propperly ... This isn't only embarrising.. it is rude to all loyal customers.

Same problem here on MS Surface pro 8 in the 365 version of onenote. wow. wiggly wobbly jumpy onenote.

Same issue on iPad

@Hosssss 

April 2023. Just bought the new surface pro 9 and I still have the same problem...

Bought an iPad for the sole purpose of taking notes in OneNote... This bug has made it a very expensive mistake... Hey Microsoft, fix yo sh!t.
I have this exact issue!! Its mid-2023 and still not fixed.

Alternative iv founded:  use google notes for larger notes, with the problem of not having notes well organised like OneNote. Than I use OneNote for smaller notes. Ironic!

7th sept 2023! This issue is still on going, everytime I try to use my pen it happens , very very annoying my lecture notes take such a long time with this issue constantly have to scroll back down , I'm currently looking for a new note taking app if anyone has found a good one please reply and let me know!
I've found a ton of bugs while using OneNote . It's very frustrating .
Same here!!! Absolutely frustrating ! If you have found another app that works well for note taking - please let me know!

@Hosssss

FIVE YEARS.....

Microsoft.

A big-shot company with 221,000 people working for ya. And yet, not a single one has yet given even a TINKER'S **bleep** to the people - from teachers to students, and even professionals of giant industries - who use YOUR services (in this case, OneNote), and have noticed a HUGE issue that his disrupting the work flow of ALL THESE poor people. 

Yes, microsoft, OneNote HAS an issue. I suppose 5 years worth of your own customers begging for a solution doesn't cut it. It's simple. When you import a PDF in a OneNote page, and you do anything in that page from scrolling to using your stylis, the **bleep** thing teleports you back to the TOP OF THE PAGE. And when your dealing with 40 page documents like some of the people here have, this is no laughing matter.... 

It's like running a marathon, but every 20 seconds, you teleport 10 meters backwards.

Microsoft. I've spent a good few minutes writing this. You have 221,000 people people at your command, and $2.45 Trillion USD (as of 18/09/23) in capital. Why not use an unimaginably small amount of your tremendous manpower and financial prowess to quell the suffering that our people face day in and day out.

Heed my word, please.

Sir_gooob