SOLVED

OneNote authentication

Iron Contributor

Hey guys,

recently (in the past 30 days), every time i open an office app, namely OneNote, i have to re-authenticate, enter username, then password and sign-in to sync down or publish changes etc.

Up until then, i never really had to do that unless i explicitly signed-out.

How can i get my sso back for onenote and other o365 office apps (word,excel) that i use.

12 Replies
I have noticed similar behavior and it may have started when I recently installed the new 64 bit versions for Mac OS X.

I have the same problem with two computers. When I change the Office 365 password appears this problem. I close the notebooks, I remove and add again the account with the same result. I don't know what happens? Is it impossible change the password without this problems?

best response confirmed by AndrewX (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Have you tried removing your creditials in Control Panel/Credential Manager/Windows Credentials and then supplying your correct credentials again?

Yes, same here. We have 150+ students using OneNote, plus lots of teachers... and they all have the same problem. It is actually very bothersome... having 6th graders type in their password at least once a day...

And there I though it was something I did in my tenant...

It happened more or less over night... on Windows and Mac machines...

We have the same problem on the iOS app mainly on iPhone, this has allsp appeared the last month or so.

Is anyone else hav this problem on iPhone?

Yes. I use Windows 10 and there aren't credentials in Credential Manager, only on Windows Settings > Accounts > E-Mail & apps accounts. I remove it and add again with the same result.

Although OneNote only request the email address and if the account is Microsoft or Professional. It doesn't request the password. It request every time I open the OneNote and only for my Office 365 notebooks. I have another Onedrive notebook, but doesn't request the Onedrive account (I have changed the password too).

I struggled with this problem for 4 months.  In my case, it was related to the Carbonite Backup Upgrade Checker task that installs itself into the Windows Task Scheduler.

If you're running Carbonite Backup on the machines exhibiting the problem, please see the following link for details and solution:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593411/windows-credential-manager-not-retaining-generic-cre...

Yes, I did. However, there isn't this credentials in the vault. I use Windows 10 with integrated Microsoft Account.

Anyway, in my case, I don't need retype the password, only the email address.

I'm sorry, I answer to me. I think I solved my problem.

In Windows 10, go to Settings > Accounts > E-Mail & App accounts and remove Office 365 account from Email, calendar and contacts, and from Accounts used by other apps.

I have restarted Windows for more, really I don't know, the routine....

I have added the Office 365 account in the same panel (Email, calendar and contacts and Accounts used by other apps).

I have opened OneNote with the same result: request username. I have gone to OneNote accounts and sign out my OneNote account. I have signed in again and it works!

I repeat this in my laptop with the same result.

Before, I had deleted all MicrosoftOffice16_* items from Control Panel > Credential Manager without results. If you do that, only changed the Outlook and Skype for Business account, but not the Word or OneNote account.

What's happened? I don't know it exactly, I suspect, perhaps, that it's problem about single sign on and tokens of Windows 10. I will investigate a little more....

Does somebody have the same result?

Thats great, so for anyone else reading here is a few solutions for you to try.

For my own situation it was resolved by removing my cached credentials in the windows credential manager, then re-authenticating my apps again.

I'll try it for my iPhone.
I am
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AndrewX (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Have you tried removing your creditials in Control Panel/Credential Manager/Windows Credentials and then supplying your correct credentials again?

View solution in original post