SOLVED

OneNote and Outlook integration

Copper Contributor

Would someone help me to understand what is going on with Outlook for Windows 10?  I've confused myself by going around in circles looking for an answer.

I broke my laptop yesterday and my nice shiny new machine has fresh software along with its new smell.

However I was using Outlook 2016 and I was able to send emails to Outlook for filing, create meeting notes and do all sorts of things to get emails out of my inbox.  There were buttons to send to Outlook and life was quite lovely.  I understand that Outlook for Windows 10 is not Outlook 2016 and there are features not yet implemented in the latest version.

What I am trying to understand is whether the integration features that I seem to have "lost" are part of the "not yet implemented" features or am I just being a fool and not understanding where to get the buttons which were very very handy to have.

I hope I am making my question clear - my brain is hurting trying to sort this out.

32 Replies

@Gerardo D'Amico 

Thanks for flagging this. 

The "Send to OneNote" button seems to work, but there is a delay between the send and the time the item shows up on OneNote Win10.  That makes me think that Outlook is sending the item to OneNote online and it is then syncing down to OneNote Win10.

I'm not in a position to try it right now, but I wonder how this will work when I am not online.  I sometimes pull down my emails, then process them while in an environment with no WiFi.  With OneNote 2016 you could send something over when offline, then let it sync "up" when connected.  Now I suspect that all syncing will be "down" instead.

@DryHeat 

Yes, you are correct in saying that Outlook sends it to OneNote Online and then it syncs down to the OneNote for Windows 10 app. Basically that is how the OneNote app functions - a client for OneNote Online - similar to how Outlook is a client for accessing email.

OneNote 2016 works the same way, plus it has the option of creating offline only notebooks. Problem is you can only access them on that one computer, and if the notebooks aren't backed up and something happens to your computer, well say bye bye to your notebooks.

The other reason for Microsoft's "online" strategy is so that it's apps and services can become cross-platform. I would assume the "Send to OneNote" feature will appear in Outlook for Andriod and iOS anytime soon!

To address your concern - if using the OneNote app offline at some point, the alternate solution would be to print out the email to OneNote using the OneNote printer, not as nice the "Send to OneNote" feature but does the job all the same.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers.

@Gerardo D'Amico 

Thanks.  I'm familiar with all that, but I don't think it's correct to say that OneNote 2016 "works the same way" as OneNote Win10 in this regard.  ON-2016 and ON-Win10 both allow the use of cached notebooks offline, just like Outlook allows the use of a cached copy of the mailbox.  But when offline with ON-2016, one could send an email to ON and it would land in the cached file, then be synced up at the next opportunity.  When offline with ON-Win10, you can operate both programs offline but the "send" function won't work.

I don't really agree with the idea that the old (OneNote 2016) strategy was somehow overly risky or limited to one computer.  It was easy to use online notebooks with ON-2016 and have them cached/synched to whatever computer you happened to be using.  The risk of "loss of work" from a crash was no greater in that scenario than it is when using ON-Win10 offline.

Still, I wonder why MS can't make Send to OneNote work the same was a the OneNote printer driver? I know it's not the same process (what with attachments and all) but it would be nice.

The problem with printing to ON vs Send to ON, is that the with the printed version the text is not recognized as it is with a PDF and therefore you cannot highlight the text the same way.
With Send to ON, you can then highlight the same as you can on a text recognized PDF. Rather, you have to use the drawing tool, which you can use to highlight, but it isn't the same.
I resent MS pushing everything to online. It is fairly useless for when no access to internet is available. A big step backward. I use only ON2016. I back up continually with Carbonite, so I don't need to rely on the online version of ON for back ups.
The Send to OneNote has always been available as an Add-on for ON2016 and it works as it had in the past, sending items directly to ON without relying on the internet. I will only use the 2016 version. The thing I miss is the same Send to OneNote from my web browser (Chrome).
They have an Add-on but it does not work with ON2016.
This only works for the online version of ON, not the 2016 version. I believe what most everyone in the forum wants is the ability to Sent to OneNote the way we are able to with ON2016
I don't believe this is true since the Notebooks are cashed. Plus, I use Carbonite to continually back up my ON folders, so I have no need for MS online only solution.
Print to ON is not a solution for the bulk of the needs of those on the forum wanting the old Sent to ON capability. The end result of Print to ON, does not provide the same capabilities as Send to ON.
Thank you for this tip. I was irritated for a few weeks now.

It took me a while to workout what was wrong here.

I did a reinstall of office and onenote integration to outlook disappeared.

Additionally one lost all functionality to tag and looked like a cutback version.

It seems Microsoft has decided to finish Onenote 2016 and move to Onenote 10 as the default version. Fair enough... but Onenote 10 does not have the integrations to outlook or tags etc. From what i can read this will be added back into Onenote 10 during Q4 2019. 

I have therefore reloaded onenote 2016 to run alongside Onenote 10 and i will swap over when onenote 10 catches up with 2016 functionality. Microsoft must have their reasons for doing this but i cant think of a good one....

Here is the link to MS page and onenote 2016 download and explaination.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/change-the-default-version-of-onenote-on-your-computer-f261...

@DryHeat 

I reverted back to using OneNote 2016's Send to OneNote by

1. Uninstall the Window 10 OneNote store app

2. Disable "Use Send to OneNote with OneNote for Windows 10" option inside Outlook > Options > Advanced > Other

3. Remove the "Send to OneNote" Outlook > Get Add-ins > My add-ins 

4. Enable "Use Send to OneNote with OneNote for Windows 10" option inside Outlook > Options > Advanced > Other again

@Gerardo D'Amico 

What about calendar entries. I create meeting notes with the one click option in outlook (to one note 2016). 

@InterestedParty 

There is an option in OneNote for Windows 10:

Insert > Meeting Details

Annotation 2019-10-21 095330.jpg

Select your meeting from the list and it adds the meeting details into a new OneNote page. 

Then you can chose to share the page or send a copy of the page if you wish.

@Gerardo D'Amico 

Thank you! Not as nice as having a "button" in Outlook but it is a adequate work around for me.