OneNote 2016 v OneNote 10

Brass Contributor

Hello

I am looking to train/raise awareness at a large organisation/team on either OneNote windows 10  or OneNote 2016

Reading the road map and seeing the OneNote 2016 is being phased out ~2025? Should I focus the training/Microsoft guides for the OneNote windows 10 app? As eventually users will most likely need to switch?

Areas of concern:

1. Does the latest windows update need to be done in order to get the latest OneNote win 10 version?

We have OneNote version: 16001.11029.20060.0. I am unsure if this is the latest one, I dont think it is as the newest update is in November 2018  (Version 16.11001.20079). I cannot find my version in the windows whats new site:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-new-in-onenote-for-windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18...

If thats the case, I am unsure if we will always be up to date / security issues involved or can wait for the new essential features..

2) Is it better to start with the more established OneNote 2016 version? The issue is I want to use Microsoft Content to teach this/ Microsoft training guides/videos but the most up to date Microsoft tutorials with videos are only for OneNote Win 10:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/onenote-video-training-1c983b65-42f6-42c1-ab61-235aae5d0115...

The Microsoft training for OneNote 2016 is just steps with no videos. It would have been great if the 2016 training had videos too. I will be making a Sharepoint site to store all this training material/act as a knowledge base

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/top-categories-03f0666a-6b5c-4b9f-bc64-56f2ae1f4617?ui=en-U...

Is it better to just stick to OneNote for 2016 for now? I have found out that useful features such as custom tagging, page indenting and a better home ribbon layout are missing in the windows 10 version

Thank you!

4 Replies

You should use the one that best meets your needs. If you need the features that are missing from the app version, use Onenote 2016 - and you can use both - at the same time, with the same notebook. 

I have same question.   Confounded and Confused.  Where are we going?

The desktop 2016 is functional.  Add GEM tools and it begins to work better.

Need a clear roadmap.

My digging into this led me to conclude that moving to the Windows 10 version was preferable for most users.

It is definitely confusing having both available and both working - but Microsoft have quite rightly recognised the need to have all the versions of their apps looking and behaving the same across all platforms. The Windows version of OneNote has the advantage that it looks and behaves the same across the web, android and apple versions. That means one set of guides for users, one set of notifications about new features or changes, one set of screen shots.

There are a few things that I miss from the desktop version - version control, the navigation - but the Windows 10 version has really come on fast with new features. I think the last update was the first time, that new features came out ONLY on the Win10 version of OneNote - rather than coming out on 2016 first.

The only reason I would advise someone to use the 2016 desktop version, is if they collaborate with notes only through a file share - rather than doing it through the web/sharepoint

Oh Microsoft.

Do you not read the daily news items about cloud breaches. Even you in the last few months have experienced one https://mashable.com/article/microsoft-account-takeover-vulnerability/.

I have several OneNote notebook that will NEVER migrate to the cloud. Need I sight: intellectual property concerns, confidentiality, personal details, theft, and the mundane. Then there is the ambiguity of your PDS/User agreement as to who actually owns the property stored in you cloud and what you can do with it.

So many of your users have displayed their dismay at the death of the desktop OneNote, but you have withdrawn. You speak of many users driving this, but did you speak to me or the other power users in this forum? OneNote 2007 still is fond memory.

OneNote desktop is the only reason I stay with Microsoft. All your other apps are replaceable. But the cloud is deal breaker.

The feature denuded Windows 10 app with its space consuming sidebars designed for finger computer is not something many of us want or need.

I hate to tell you, but it is us, power users who have evangelised OneNote with our friends, colleagues and organisations over the years. As someone that was about to implement a large scale OneNote I'm already looking for an alternative.

In a day and age of catering to clients you are offering us nothing more a choice between trite colour combinations.