OneNote 2016 Missing

Iron Contributor

I recently had to uninstall Office Pro Plus (aka Office 365) from my computer and after reinstalling Office from the Office.com site I no longer have OneNote2016, my only option is OneNote that is installed on Windows 10 which as you all know is a very slim downed version of 2016.   Does anyone know how I can get OneNote 2016 back?   Or is this how its going to be going forward in regards to OneNote and Office 365?  

9 Replies

Tom, I'm going to add to your concern today, as my organization has also been affected by this decision to remove OneNote (2016) desktop app from Business Premium subscribers. I have searched the Message Center for a official statement to plan for the removal of the OneNote app from the installation, however there is nothing in the last 30 days to warn that the change was imminent. I did find that this change was planned to begin in September. The documentation found was this updated article from today: OneNote Deployment Guide - updated 10/24/2018

The document states: 

But, in the next several months, the following changes are coming to OneNote for new Office deployments:

• If you're deploying Office 365 ProPlus on a computer running Windows 10, OneNote 2016 will no longer be installed by default when you're installing Office 365 ProPlus from the Office 365 portal or by using System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch). OneNote for Windows 10 will be the default OneNote experience.
  • If you're deploying Office 2019, OneNote for Windows 10 will be the default OneNote experience.

And...

These changes also apply to Office 365 Business, which is the version of Office that comes with some Office 365 plans, such as Business Premium.

So, when users were updated this week to the 2019 version automatically (they are on the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) update schedule), OneNote 2016 was uninstalled. This disrupts our entire workflow for using OneNote in our business as features needed are not available in the new Windows 10 version. Some workers have 10-15 active notebooks that just "disappeared." As of now, I am not sure how we are going to get the 2016 version reinstalled, as we provision all of our users through the Office 365 portal.

I cannot stress enough that we feel blindsided by this change as when the original communication claimed we could still deploy OneNote 2016. Yet here we are again losing a vital program without communicating effectively on the changes and its unplanned consequences. Once I submit a ticket and find the workaround, I will update this post.

After a great deal of searching I was able to install the standalone version of OneNote using the below link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/install-or-reinstall-onenote-2016-for-windows-c08068d8-b517...

I agree with you 100% the lack of notification to users of this is poor at best.  Why didn’t they provide users with the link I just provided to avoid this panic and confusion?   

I hope the link provided is helpful.  It saved my hide and notebooks.

Thanks, Tom. I've bookmarked the support page. Just downloaded and all my notebooks are still there. Big relief, now just one more headache making sure everyone is aware that it will be removed but there is a solution (as long as this page remains active).

Scott,

I downloaded the install file and saved it to SharePoint to point staff to so they can download and install if needed and also stored a copy of it to my OneDrive.  Like you I was afraid that page may disappear at some point.   

Tom, great idea. Did the same. Thanks again for bringing this issue to the community and the solutions you offered.

I have started case in Office 365 support about that. Actually I find that OneNote is missing only 64bit version? Is that about 32 version too? What I find for workaround - ODT install still include OneNote. I used this. OneNote seems like to be now free product and You can install this independent - without option to select language or 32/64

NB! When installing ODT Office 365 You have 1st uninstall office - when You have onenoteless office allready installed, ODT configure and ODT customize - both ignore OneNote.

I have been looking for a way to reinstall OneNote 2016 as I much prefer it to the new app so thanks very much

USe Office Deployment Tool. 

1. download + install ODT
2. edit configuration file
3. execute download
4. UNINSTALL OFFICE

5. execute configure

ONLY WAY TODAY GET Onenote 2016 Pro

Link provided on KB article gives You OneNote 2016 Home+Student only

OneNote WIn 10 is mulfunctional
OneNote 2016 HOme+Student - You have no option to select language
OneNote 2016 Pro is ONLY normal OneNote version You can get

(sorry - 2019 I haven't jet tried)