OneNote 2016 Desktop Black Theme Dark Mode

Copper Contributor

Microsoft has released black theme for OneNote 2016 Desktop - in November 2019 - however when I switch it on the pages' background remain white/bright color and no way to change it...

How To get real dark mode with black background pages ?

11 Replies
Are you running OneNote 2016 version 16.0.12130 or later? Maybe you still don't have the required update.

PS: I don't have it as well, I'm on 16.0.11328

@Ricardo Viana 

Good Point ,

I updated to 1910 12130.20272  and still don't have it .

Can anyone who has correct working dark mode - to report version.

And yes keeping oneNote Desktop and now with dark mode  --- is the best decision Microsoft made since they decided to bring back the start menu. 

Version 1910 monthly channel targeted 12130.20272 - it works
so this is probably only available in insiders channel at the moment

@Ricardo VianaI have monthly channel 12130.20272 - dark mode works but as @Steve G mentioned "when I switch it on the pages' background remain white/bright color and no way to change it... How To get real dark mode with black background pages ?"

clipboard_image_0.png

Ditto that question - the only page background options are pastel colors, no dark alternatives, and leaving the option 'no color' just keeps the page background white.

clipboard_image_1.png

@rs_oakford 

You are probably on monthly channel and you need to be on monthly channel targeted/ insiders. The version and build were the same although some features were already enabled. 

@Ricardo Viana I have tried to update Microsoft one note. When I click on "view updates" it takes me to the updates for 16.0.12730.20236, the April release. But my computer is on a different version (in attached). This is weird because my PC at home can do dark mode (though I can't see it's version right now). On the current computer I downloaded updates, restarted, everything. But no luck, it will not update to the version required for dark mode. 

I am not sure if I am understanding your issue. From the screenshot it looks like you are already in dark mode.

@Ricardo Viana So, the theme is "black" however, even after installing updates, the page background is still light. 

Dark_Reader_0-1590288259605.png

Hi @Steve G,

I had the same issue - there's an update available but you need to change the update channel for the Office on your machine which can only be done if you have admin permissions.

You need to get the Office Deployment Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117 and run this to extract the office setup program. 

Then create a config.xml file with the following content:

<Configuration> 
        <Updates Channel="SemiAnnualPreview" />
</Configuration>

Then run the setup from cmd with setup.exe /configure config.xml 

It will then run through an Office update process and next time you run One Note it will have dark pages.  It updated my OneNote to Version 2002 (Build 12527.20720).

I hope this fixes your issue. 

Daz.