SOLVED

Is it possible to sign into OneNote for Mac with two accounts? How?

Brass Contributor

I am trying to sign into OneNote with my personal account on my work Mac. However, the work Mac auto-signed in to our work Office 365 Business account. If I sign out from OneNote, it signs me out in Excel too. 

Is it possible to sign in to OneNote with my personal and Excel/PowerPoint with my work account? Or is it possible to sign into OneNote with two accounts - personal and work? 

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Romit Mehta (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Romit Mehta Yes, you can :) File/Open Notebook. Then at the bottom select "+ Add a Place." This will prompt you to OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint. It sounds like you should be selecting "OneDrive" to then get the prompt to login to that personal account. Once that is added you can click on that profile to navigate through the file structure to the notebook.

@Emily_Mancini  Thanks! Adding personal OneDrive in OneNote should not impact anything with my work Active Directory/OneDrive for Business account, right? 

@Romit Mehta That is correct. They are separate syncs.

The only thing to consider is that you are downloading a copy of your notebook locally so if you left the company unexpectedly and they had access to your computer they could see that notebook. If you change the password that will not remove the content that was previously synced to the desktop client. You can always close the notebook and remove it for a planned departure :)

@Emily_Mancini, how can I remove the added place?

@patilrahul, right-click on the notebook name and select "Close Notebook." It will no longer sync to your work computer.

@Emily_Mancini 

Hi Emily,

I'm running in an issue when trying to add my personal (live) onedrive storage to the OneNote / Office business account: I'm asked to enter my credentials and I get all the time the same message:

"This account type is not valid for this service" or similar, as I get this error in German and have tried to translate it ...

But this setup for OneNote, using two accounts in parallel, was working for the last year or so. I guess, this is rooted to the fact, I switched my Edge account from my personal login to the business account. But that is just a guess ...

When trying to add the onedrive storage account, I'm able to select a business sharepoint, the business onedrive or personal onedrive. When getting to the credentials, I'm told, I may enter my login, phone or skype id. As skype is listed, seems, I'm with the correct onedrive version. Nevertheless, my personal account infos are not accepted. When trying to enter my business login details, very weird, I get the same error message! And also weird: After having entered my personal account email address, I'm sent to the next window for confirmation of this email address and there is an option for addt. login methods. When selecting this option, I'm sent to the list of options and the list of organizations. So this looks like, this is the login scheme for business onedrive.

What is wrong? I updated onedrive and onenote to the latest version.

I restarted my MacBook.

What else can I do?

Cheers,

Alexander

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Romit Mehta (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Romit Mehta Yes, you can :) File/Open Notebook. Then at the bottom select "+ Add a Place." This will prompt you to OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint. It sounds like you should be selecting "OneDrive" to then get the prompt to login to that personal account. Once that is added you can click on that profile to navigate through the file structure to the notebook.

View solution in original post