Is it possible for me (an Office 365 subscriber) to also install OneNote 2016?

Brass Contributor

I have two computers: a Windows 10 PC and a Mac mini.  I have been using Office 2016 for many years on Windows.  Recently, I subscribed to Office 365, so now I have two versions of OneNote on Windows.  I continue to use the 2016 version because I prefer it to Office version (prefer is an understatement).

On the Mac, which I recently purchased, I first installed Office 365. I then went to look for OneNote 2016. There are many sites offering it for download (for example, the Apple app store), so I didn't think it would be a problem. However when I download, I get the Office installer.  And if I run the Office installer, it doesn't do anything because the Office OneNote app is already installed.

The moral of the story seems to be: 

• If you have the free version, you can get the paid version, but if you have the paid version, you can't get the free version! 

The only solution I can think of would be to uninstall office (or maybe just the OneNote app), then download the free version, then reinstall office.  It seems risky, so I probably won't try it.

Is there any other way to do this?

0 Replies