Delete OneNote Notebooks

Copper Contributor

I have been trying to delete or remove a OneNote notebook that I no longer need, but I can't get it done. I search Help, but the explanation doesn't work for me. It says to open File Explorer, Go to This PC/Documents/ OneNote Notebooks. Find the Notebook you want, right click then delete. Well, there is nothing in the folder. I have tried this procedure in OneDrive also, with the same results. What can I do?

1 Reply

@Michael2230 

I suspect you're using the newer version of OneNote that saves all notebooks on OneDrive. In a nutshell, the most straight forward way to delete your notebook is to use the web versions of OneNote, or OneDrive. You can't do it from the OneNote Windows app (see the discussion below on the types of OneNote Windows apps).

From https://www.onenote.com/ click 'Manage and Delete' above the list of your notebooks. This takes you to your OneDrive files. You should find your notebooks under the 'Documents' folder. Delete the one you wish. Unfortunately, you may continue to see the notebook you deleted in the OneNote Windows app until you close that notebook in the Windows app.

• Two versions of OneNote are included in Office 365 for installation on Windows, named as follows:

1. 'OneNote 2016' is a x86 app, like Word, Excel and the other Office apps.

2. 'OneNote' is a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app. It's full name is "OneNote for Windows 10", and is simply labeled “OneNote” on Windows.

*All Notebooks are stored on OneDrive, not on your PC.*

From Microsoft:

"This is is the best and most up-to-date version of OneNote on Windows. It was designed to feel natural with any input method — from mouse and keyboard to pen and touch — and it contains numerous improvements for better performance, battery life, and reliability.
OneNote for Windows 10 also has a number of features that are not available in OneNote 2016 — including ink effects with a dramatically improved ink-to-text option, Researcher, a notification center, deep integration with Windows 10, and much more.
OneNote for Windows 10 comes pre-installed on every version of Windows 10, and it’s included in Office 365 and Office 2019.
By comparison, OneNote 2016 is the original Windows version of OneNote, which came with Office 2016 and earlier. It has some legacy functionality that might be important if you use this version at work or school, but OneNote 2016 is no longer being updated with new features."

See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-the-difference-between-onenote-and-onenote-2016-a624...