Why does default option sharing OneDrive for Business docs now give link anyone can use to edit?

Iron Contributor

sharing-doc-onedrive-default-link-showing.PNG

This is new and is worrying lots of users trying to quickly share docs which the presume will remain confidential within OneDrive for Business

53 Replies

Sorry to open up an old thread, but I'm struggling on finding an answer for a non-business Office 365 account. I have a personal account and am using a Mac. When I right click and click on "Share a OneDrive link" it does create the shareable link, but it makes the file editable. Is there a way for me to make it a view only link by default?

Are you using the Web UI? If so, no matter if you are on a mac or on a Windows PC, you should be able to specify if the link allows to edit the document or not
I understand I can use the web interface, but I'm referring to using the right click context menu from within Finder. Being able to create a view only link in Finder by default would eliminate steps, my boss having to always ask me "how do I do that?," and save us time.

Hi @Mike McDonald,

IT administrators can choose the default sharing link for OneDrive & SharePoint in the admin center (including having it default to view instead of edit). This will affect everyone in the organization though. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

We are actually using 365 Home. Is that setting available to Home users?
I contacted MS support and it appears that this ability/option is not available to Home users at this time. Thank you all for your assistance.

Hi @Mike McDonald,

That is correct, we only offer the default in our enterprise versions of Office 365. If this is something you'd like to see added to OneDrive personal, definitely submit it over at www.onedrive.uservoice.com. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi @Stephen Rice,

@Stephen Rice wrote:

Hi @Mike McDonald,

IT administrators can choose the default sharing link for OneDrive & SharePoint in the admin center (including having it default to view instead of edit). This will affect everyone in the organization though. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

This is exactly what I want to do. Where in the admin center can I change the default behavior from Edit to View? I'm having trouble finding this setting. Thank you.

Hi @Minuteman,

To change this setting, you can go to the classic SharePoint Admin Center (the URL is normally <myorganizationname>-admin.sharepoint.com). From there, click on "Sharing" in the left nav. You are looking for a setting titled "Default Link Permission" with a two radio buttons below it. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice wrote:

Hi @Minuteman,

To change this setting, you can go to the classic SharePoint Admin Center (the URL is normally <myorganizationname>-admin.sharepoint.com). From there, click on "Sharing" in the left nav. You are looking for a setting titled "Default Link Permission" with a two radio buttons below it. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

Hi @Stephen Rice,

Thank you! That worked. When I went to Admin centers > SharePoint> Sharing, I found the setting there. I changed it from Edit to View and tested it out. 

We have our default ODfB sharing set to Direct: Specific People.  This works as expected when sharing a file via OneDrive in the browser.  However, when we go to send an email and attach a OneDrive file (share as a OneDrive link), the default behavior is 'Organization can edit'.  We'd like it to fall in line with our Admin settings, and have recipients can edit be the default.  Is it possible to set the default sharing behavior in email that way?

Hi @Erin Scupham,

Can you share which version of Outlook you are using? That will help us troubleshoot why you are not seeing the right behavior in e-mail! Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Great to hear @Minuteman! Glad it's working for you!

Stephen Rice