Why can I not download an image I searched for?

Steel Contributor

I can't seem to figure out how to download an item from a search result.

When I browse for an item, say an image, I can select it and the download link appears in the task bar. I can even open it in the browser and the download link appears. Good.

However when I search for the image, I can select it but there is no way to download it.

I can open the image in the browser but there is no way for me to download it, not even right click.

In addtion when I select the link from the search result in the top left, I am sent to a settings page,..

Only through a very confoluted way I can figure out the path and then go find the image myself to be able to download it...

All in all a very confusing and frustrating experience.

Why can I not download an image I searched for?

When I select everything from the search result I then see this page... no way to download the file. Not even when I open it...When I select everything from the search result I then see this page... no way to download the file. Not even when I open it...Clicking the search result brings me here... why?Clicking the search result brings me here... why?Searching for the item...Searching for the item...Download possibleDownload possible

7 Replies

Hi @Philine von Guretzky,

I'm getting the same. It looks like the download button has been forgotten or maybe it is still on its way.

It might be useful to get this added as a uservoice.

Thansk for confirming @Pieter Veenstra

Someone else has already done that it seems. Please do vote for it:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/20438497-cannot-download-single-it...

This ability to download files after searching for them is important. As many users upload many files and folders to OneDrive, they will be searching for them again and need the ability to download the files once they find it. I have users in my environment that upload lots of images to OneDrive and when they finally find the what they are looking for, they are forced to search again if they need to download.

Totally agree here and I wonder if @Stephen Rose can help here

In order to keep search fast and allow you to look across all of OneDrive and SharePoint, search results in pointer images. This way you can bring up hundreds (or thousands) of files quickly. This allows you to edit, filter or restrict the search, even if your permissions to some of the files is limited (Like no download allowed). Once you find the correct file you can then go to the directory it is held in. At this time, you are in a full fidelity window (which may be slower to load). At this time all individual permissions load as well (read, write, view only, etc...). The goal is for a fast search experience across and up to 3m files. If we were to bring in the actual files, it would be a very slow experience. We generally optimize for speed when possible.

I will give this feedback to engineering during our next sync. I do suggest you add this as an item to uservoice. Engineering reviews and responds to all uservoice requests once they hit 100 votes. 

Hope this helps.