SOLVED

Which OneDrive client version included in which Office update channel?

MVP

We are trying to solve one hard riddle. Which OneDrive client version is included in which Office update channel by default?

There is a Insider Fast, Insider Slow, Current Channel, First Release for Deffered Channel, Deffered Channel. And each of them has a slightly different version of OneDrive client integrated. Some has Next Generation Client, some of them has OneDrive. Some has classic Groove.

If client install and has Windows 10, OneDrive even check to upgrade without connection to update channel of Office. And it starts to be questioned by customer how to handle properly without SCCM.

Standard Office Telemetry does not even include information about OneDrive client. It should be.

Can someone answer this question without need to install each channel to VM? By linking at least Version and build numbers of update channel releases for Office 365 clients with New OneDrive sync client release notes?

And what is really funny? Reference: Configuration options for the Office Deployment Tool mentioned that OneDrive and Groove attributes are same. But XML Configuration Editor let me remove both of them.

Maybe a simple solution to this. Make a new version which contain support for both Online and Server environment. :) We will be really glad for that.

13 Replies

Whatever version of OneDrive is initially installed by Office 2016 C2R (all channels) or by Windows 10 (all versions), it will update automatically itself to the latest version (i.e. the latest NGSC version), independently from Office updates and from Windows updates. Hence, leave it alone... :)

Groove, instead, is installed by Office and is updated together with Office updates. Anyway, don't use it and go with NGSC... :)

I would really like. Our customer really would like.

But they are sometimes using SharePoint Server which is not supported by OneDrive Next Generation Client. Some of them also using both. So need basically both clients. And old steps how to install the older client with a new one does not work for some update channels because they are not anymore on 2013 version of Office which will be outside supported in Office 365 ProPlus, but they are on 2016 versions. And with patching with SCCM and strict AppLocker rules it can be hard to maintain and test all changes.

The worst thing here is that user can search for OneDrive in Start menu and the old client starts up and take sync even a new version is syncing. The takeover process to new one is not also so easy without SCCM by takeover switch.

Hi Petr.

Sorry but I think I don't understand fully your problem...

You are asking: "Which OneDrive client version is included in which Office update channel?".

Now, to summarize, we have the following:

1. Onedrive.exe (NGSC). Whatever version is initially installed, it will soon update automatically and independently to the latest version. Hence it should not be a problem.
  2. Groove.exe (old client). It comes initially in the same version and build of the Office 2016 C2R it is bundled together (monolithically). Every Office 2016 C2R subsequent update is monolithic too, and updates Groove to the same version and build of the whole package.

Does this answer to your question?

Hi Salvatore, I do understand Petr. 

There should be a page, where any customer can see what version of what client is in given branch. A version number would be best. 

If you can fill the build numbers of the OneDrive.exe, this is what Petr is asking for: 

ChannelVersion

Current

OneDrive.exe version build XXX 

First Release for Deferred

OneDrive.exe version build YYY

Deferred

Groove.exe 

Deferred 2

Groove.exe

Hi Jakub, thanks for clarifying.

Well, I think I have already answered. Anyway, at the current date (April 1st, 2017) the version numbers are the following:

1. Onedrive.exe - CC, FRDC, DC - initial version: irrelevant, because in any case, after the installation, NGSC will upgrade itself automatically (to Version 17.3.6798.0207).
  2. Groove.exe - CC, FRDC, DC - initial version: same as the respective Office 2016 C2R (i.e. CC: 1702-7870.203; FRDC: 1701-7766.2071; DC: 1609-7369.2120), because the package is monolithic and hence Groove has not an own version number.

Sources:

1. https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-b...
  2. https://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/mt592918.aspx
Unfortunately OneDrive.exe is not bound to any C2R channel. It is using its own update logic. You can only prevent to the second wave via GPO, but you have no way to see when the first finished.
Thanks for clarification. But automatic upgrade works automatically only in Windows 10 or when client is already active and syncing. When installed on Windows 7 and not active (Groove is active and takeover is not present) the client reside in same versions as we see in our test lab. Only full Office upgrade will bring it to current version or when installed separately.

I am sorry but I cannot answer on this. All my customers are on Windows 10, so I have no experience with Onedrive.exe under Windows 7...

Perhaps @Hans Brender knows it.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

The Next Generation Sync Client comes with his own Update mechnism, has nothing to do with Windows Update or WSUS. Each day once the client is looking, if Microsoft has released and appoved for this channel (yes, there are more) a new version.  So it could be, that one Tenant A has another version then Tenant B.

Why:
If Microsoft has done several new things on Office 365 Servers, it could be that they need also a new NGSC version to sync data between the cloud and the devices. Then Microsoft will publish...

04/04/17
We have today the NGSC version 17.3.6798.0207 (and wherever you download it for Windows 7, this is the latest Released version.

But If You are an Windows 10 Insider and have the Creators Update installed, your NGSC Version is 17.3.6816.0313. You may look here

The NGSC is installed on each new Windows 10 device (with an old version). and you do not have to update it by yourself.  It will be updatet automatically, even if you are not connected to OneDrive Personal NOR OneDrive for Business NOR Groups, Team Sites, or Teams.

You may install it manually to:
Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, MAC OSX, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008  R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2,  Windows Server 2016

So if you manually download an install it, (although via GPO), it's a good idea to reboot your device.

More ionformation  you will find here

Hans Brender, MVP Office Servers and Services

Can some one update whether one drive update in windows 10 it will be part of office 2016 updates or we have to push updates through sccm

In Windows 10, OneDrive is updated regularly using its own automatic mechanism.

You don't need to do anything.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

The Next Generation Sync Client comes with his own Update mechnism, has nothing to do with Windows Update or WSUS. Each day once the client is looking, if Microsoft has released and appoved for this channel (yes, there are more) a new version.  So it could be, that one Tenant A has another version then Tenant B.

Why:
If Microsoft has done several new things on Office 365 Servers, it could be that they need also a new NGSC version to sync data between the cloud and the devices. Then Microsoft will publish...

04/04/17
We have today the NGSC version 17.3.6798.0207 (and wherever you download it for Windows 7, this is the latest Released version.

But If You are an Windows 10 Insider and have the Creators Update installed, your NGSC Version is 17.3.6816.0313. You may look here

The NGSC is installed on each new Windows 10 device (with an old version). and you do not have to update it by yourself.  It will be updatet automatically, even if you are not connected to OneDrive Personal NOR OneDrive for Business NOR Groups, Team Sites, or Teams.

You may install it manually to:
Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8.x, MAC OSX, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008  R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2,  Windows Server 2016

So if you manually download an install it, (although via GPO), it's a good idea to reboot your device.

More ionformation  you will find here

Hans Brender, MVP Office Servers and Services

View solution in original post