SOLVED

we're having trouble connecting to the onedrive service. check your connection or try again later

Iron Contributor

The Enterprise setup OneDrive for Business for employees / users to "backup" content to their Microsoft 365 OneDrive for Business SharePoint "space." "mysite"

I have had this connected for months and have had some issues, yet not this one.

Below is a screenshot from a colleague who is working with a person who was NOT a site collection administrator 

https://COMPANYNAME-my.sharepoint.com/personal/EMP_LOYEE_DOMAIN_com/_layouts/15/user.aspx

I am the OneDrive for Business Admin and was able to add their user account (Full Control) where there was NO user.

Below shows that (My OneDrive account) has the account information, as "Owner" AND as Site Collection Admin.

2021-08-05_17-53-59.png

When the user, after they were added to both, by myself.  When that user goes to sync. they get this screen.

MicrosoftTeams-image (20).png

My colleague tried a fresh install / image and was able to log on with that user, however got the same error.  I asked him to try to log on as himself, on that same new imaged system, and he was successful.  This leads us to think it is something with the user account, as on the computer (Windows 10) in question, they had this problem, and on a new image, same problem (yet not for the colleague trying with THEIR user account).  All users SHOULD be licensed automatically for OneDrive for Business.  Their account DOES exist, as I was able to get to it and it shows Microsoft Teams chat folder created with 200+MB of files.

2021-08-05_17-33-28.png

My account shows the image above with the option to stop, not sure why that exists if the other one doesn't.  Tough to troubleshoot if no logs to check.  Any auditing / logging to check?

My account is on the right, managed by I.T. and on the left, the image that I downloaded from the web right now.  My colleague tried to download / install on the fresh installed image.  The version is off a bit, yet for me, the ability to connect should work either way, especially as HIS account on the same new system works, but the person in question was / is still having issues.

2021-08-05_17-41-52.png

Anything I can try to work on?  We'd like to see if we can check something before we have to call Microsoft.   Not all users are having this issue, just this one.  

Annoying there is not any error messages.  Would there be any in Event Viewer on application for "OneDrive"?  I just checked on my Windows 10 system, however I didn't see any results for OneDrive.
%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs has information, however I am not sure if there is anything that I can open - many seem to to be related to the 'system' and not able to be opened quickly via Notepad.

is three 

8 Replies

@Matthew Carter How did you go with this? I am having the same issue with only 1 staff member and it is driving me nuts!

I apologize that I didn't get back with you.
I had a colleague assist me and they stated that they gave a new laptop to the user. I would see if you can rename the user profile and see about having the user log on and seeing if it allows you to recreate the profile on that laptop / desktop / system and then log onto OneDrive.
The administrator logged on as the user on another laptop and had no issues, so it might have gotten corrupt on that system profile. POSSIBLY.
Did you ever get this resolved? I have another colleague who has another user with this issue. Brand new image of Windows 10 laptop and setting up the user. They have an account yet are getting another laptop; same name, etc.
Just wonder if you found something!?

@Majdi_Safadi 

Do you know if you had this issue?  I have had it happen yet again and my colleague tried on a different Windows 10  system.  So for me, the local Microsoft Windows user profile is not having issues, or some registry issue, as it is a "fresh" profile.

The person was disabled in M365 and enabled a few weeks / months later in M365, and I had to add them to Site Collection Administrators group - https://TENANTNAMEHERE-my.sharepoint.com/personal/EMAIL_ADDRESS_HERE/_layouts/15/mngsiteadmin.aspx and then my colleague in IT tried to connect to the OneDrive service, they get an error.

We're having trouble connecting to the OneDrive service. Check your connection or try again later. 

MatthewCarter_0-1659032679106.jpeg

best response confirmed by Matthew Carter (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I found the answer!
The way to fix this is to MOVE the Desktop, Pictures, Documents folders.

1. Go to Windows Explorer, and go to Desktop and right click
  2. Go to the Location tab
  3. Click on Move.  You'll need to move them by typing in the new location (keep reading below).

2022-07-28_15-34-13.png

You'll want to specify the location so for Desktop, you'll put it in and it asks if you want to create it, you say yes, and it will move your c:\users\%username%\desktop to c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YourTenantNameHere\Desktop

Do the same for the Pictures folder, right click it in Windows Explorer and go to the Location Tab and click on Move.

You'll want to specify the location for pictures c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YourTenantNameHere\Pictures

And do so one more time for the Documents folder, right click it in Windows Explorer and go to the Location Tab and click on Move.

You'll want to specify the location for Documents c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YourTenantNameHere\Documents

You'll notice that on the OneDrive icon, before you didn't have any subfolders, now after you moved them, you have ones for Pictures, Desktop, and Documents.  They are special folders with their own icons, not the yellow folders that I tried to put in to see if doing so would "kick start" something (it didn't work obviously).

Below in red, yellow, green, you'll see that Desktop, Documents, Pictures are created and synchronizing and the folder location has manually been MOVED.

2022-07-28_15-55-04.png

Now when you go to OneDrive from the system tray (where the clock is) you left mouse click on the blue cloud icon, go to the gear at the top right, then go to Settings, and click on the Backup tab, then the Manage backup button and then you'll see that the three folders, once with X's now are working!

2022-07-28_15-36-19.png

That's it!

Below is the error that was presenting itself when we went to log on, no problem, yet when we went to backup the Pictures, Desktop, Documents folders and had issues with the OneDrive service being unable to connect.

Again this was the problem BEFORE!  The image below has changed to the one ABOVE!  The issue before was that the system wasn't wedging the c:\users\%username%\desktop into the location and now it is (with the three folders being manually moved) c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YOUR TENANT NAME\desktop

MatthewCarter_0-1659038354523.png

@Matthew Carter Sos sorry for not seeing any of these replies!!

We managed to get it working again by doing what you did exactly, with the location of the syncing files. We also found in AD that another user had the same username, so o365 wasn't able to authenticated correctly

@Majdi_Safadi Thank you for letting me know and don't worry about being busy and missing it; sadly I find it happens to me often!

Glad you were able to get it to work and I am happy that it seems to be the fix.  I will keep in mind that someone else might have some issues with AD or AAD!

Thank you, this has resolved the issue as well on my side @Matthew Carter 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Matthew Carter (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I found the answer!
The way to fix this is to MOVE the Desktop, Pictures, Documents folders.

1. Go to Windows Explorer, and go to Desktop and right click
  2. Go to the Location tab
  3. Click on Move.  You'll need to move them by typing in the new location (keep reading below).

2022-07-28_15-34-13.png

You'll want to specify the location so for Desktop, you'll put it in and it asks if you want to create it, you say yes, and it will move your c:\users\%username%\desktop to c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YourTenantNameHere\Desktop

Do the same for the Pictures folder, right click it in Windows Explorer and go to the Location Tab and click on Move.

You'll want to specify the location for pictures c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YourTenantNameHere\Pictures

And do so one more time for the Documents folder, right click it in Windows Explorer and go to the Location Tab and click on Move.

You'll want to specify the location for Documents c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YourTenantNameHere\Documents

You'll notice that on the OneDrive icon, before you didn't have any subfolders, now after you moved them, you have ones for Pictures, Desktop, and Documents.  They are special folders with their own icons, not the yellow folders that I tried to put in to see if doing so would "kick start" something (it didn't work obviously).

Below in red, yellow, green, you'll see that Desktop, Documents, Pictures are created and synchronizing and the folder location has manually been MOVED.

2022-07-28_15-55-04.png

Now when you go to OneDrive from the system tray (where the clock is) you left mouse click on the blue cloud icon, go to the gear at the top right, then go to Settings, and click on the Backup tab, then the Manage backup button and then you'll see that the three folders, once with X's now are working!

2022-07-28_15-36-19.png

That's it!

Below is the error that was presenting itself when we went to log on, no problem, yet when we went to backup the Pictures, Desktop, Documents folders and had issues with the OneDrive service being unable to connect.

Again this was the problem BEFORE!  The image below has changed to the one ABOVE!  The issue before was that the system wasn't wedging the c:\users\%username%\desktop into the location and now it is (with the three folders being manually moved) c:\users\%username%\OneDrive - YOUR TENANT NAME\desktop

MatthewCarter_0-1659038354523.png

View solution in original post