Update: Microsoft One Drive for Business Restrictions

Brass Contributor

Hello All,

It seems Microsoft removed some of the restrictions from OneDrive for Business as per the below article which recently updated on 28th April. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125202/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-files-an...

Following restrictions are removed

• % and # sign are now allowed, this can be done by the tenant administrator. I also implemented successfully. Please see this discussion for more detail.
  • File Upload Size is increased from 10 GB to 15 GB
  • File name paths can have up to 400 characters from 256 characters. It seems MS is Rolling out as mentioned in MS FastTrack Rollout

I identified these three major changes, this will definitely help to reduce sync related issues.

Can anyone from MS let me  know about last two bulleted point how this can be implemented from the backend?

Ashish

8 Replies

First time I see last two restrictions as removed...indeed the new 15 GB limit is a complete surprise for me cc @Stephen Rice @Salvatore Biscari @Hans Brender

There was a thread some days ago about the new 400 characters limit for the paths (which, as noted, is still rolling out).

Never heard before about the the new 15GB limit: is this fully launched?

Also, I notice that OneDrive for Business (NGSC) still doesn’t support differential sync, while it has been promised (but not announced, though).

Finally, in the previous version of the article, it was stated that libraries with IRM enabled would have been synchronized as read-only (just as libraries with checkout enabled). This has disappeared from the new version. Has that limitation been removed?

I'll forward this thread to Stephen Rose as he'll know more than me. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

My responses below:

There was a thread some days ago about the new 400 characters limit for the paths (which, as noted, is still rolling out).

Correct

Never heard before about the the new 15GB limit: is this fully launched?

It is rolling out. Most customers should have it by now.

Also, I notice that OneDrive for Business (NGSC) still doesn’t support differential sync, while it has been promised (but not announced, though).

Office 2016 supports differential sync.

Finally, in the previous version of the article, it was stated that libraries with IRM enabled would have been synchronized as read-only (just as libraries with checkout enabled). This has disappeared from the new version. Has that limitation been removed?

What article are you refering to?

More information here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/New-support-for-and-in-SharePoint-Online-and-...

@Ashish Kanoongo wrote:

Hello All,

It seems Microsoft removed some of the restrictions from OneDrive for Business as per the below article which recently updated on 28th April. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125202/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-files-an...

Following restrictions are removed

• % and # sign are now allowed, this can be done by the tenant administrator. I also implemented successfully. Please see this discussion for more detail.
  • File Upload Size is increased from 10 GB to 15 GB
  • File name paths can have up to 400 characters from 256 characters. It seems MS is Rolling out as mentioned in MS FastTrack Rollout

I identified these three major changes, this will definitely help to reduce sync related issues.

Can anyone from MS let me  know about last two bulleted point how this can be implemented from the backend?

Ashish

Hi @Stephen Rose, thanks for your responses.

@Stephen Rose wrote:

Office 2016 supports differential sync.

Hence, non-Office files do not get differential sync, while Office documents get differential sync, but only if the relevant setting in the OneDrive client settings is enabled. Correct?

@Stephen Rose wrote:

What article are you refering to?

I am referring to the previous version of the article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125202/restrictions-and-limitations-when-you-sync-files-an....

I also noticed that now I can sync OneNote file also. Earlier I was not able sync to OneNote file.

Any Idea or my understanding is incorrect?

Not sure about what you mean...

To be clear:

• For each notebook, OneNote creates actually a hierarchy of folders and files, not a single file.
  • As stated in the support article, OneNote notebooks have their own sync mechanism, and hence they should not be synced by the OneDrive client. This means that you should not create through OneNote a local notebook (i.e. inside the local OneDrive folder), but you should rather save through OneNote your OneNote notebook directly to ODfB (i.e. directly in the cloud).
  • If you do so, for each notebook saved to the cloud, you will see a stub file (and not the full hierarchy of folders and files) in your local OneDrive sync folder. Such stub file is not an actual synchronized file, but only a sort of "placeholder".