Syntax for Onedrive.admx edits - DefaultRootDir

Steel Contributor

In the Onedrive deployment guidance we're instructed to edit the Onedrive GPO template (Onedrive.admx) to insert specific values.

For example, replacing {INSERT YOUR TENANT'S GUID HERE} with our actual tenant GUID.

The GUID part is easy, but the next customization is replacing {INSERT YOUR CHOSEN PATH HERE} with the desired path for the DefaultRootDir, i.e. the path you want Onedrive to sync to locally when the user runs through the first time setup.

My notes from BRK3081 at Ignite show a recommendation to use "%userprofile%\Onedrive - CompanyName" or a %userprofile% path.

I've had lots of success with Onedrive deployment by not enforcing that DefaultRootDir in Onedrive.admx, and just enforcing the DisableCustomRoot option instead. So the desired outcome of Onedrive syncing to %userprofile% is met, because users can't select a different location.

But I've had no success with enforcing the DefaultRootDir via GPO. Any attempt to use variables like %userprofile%, or C:\Users\%username\etc, or any other variable, fail during user setup of Onedrive.

Example:

onedrive-setup-error.png

So my question is really, what values or syntax will work for {INSERT YOUR CHOSEN PATH HERE} in the DefaultRootDir config in Onedrive.admx?

47 Replies
The documentation has been updated.

Excellent, thanks!

The documentation has not been updated yet...I am in the process of building out a process for migrating user home shares to OneDrive for Business and only found this thread while trying to figure out how to modify the .admx files in the support article here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-Group-Policy-to-control-OneDrive-sync-client-settings-0...

It shows:

Last updated: October 2017

Specifically the .admx changes are referenced in sections: 

Prevent users from changing the location of their OneDrive folder

and

Set the default location for the OneDrive folder

Hi Ronak,

I just downloaded and installed Office 2016 on machine so I could find the updated admx files, however I don't seem to get them. What is the specific build number of the latest? It seems my install was 17.3.6743.1212. I do see this particular tenant is set for the Semi-Annual channel, I suspect that is part of the issue?

I set the software download settings on the tenant to be Monthly, however when I go to my machine and check for updates I still get the everything is updated message.Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 1.59.36 PM.png

Can you provide another option to obtain the .admx and .adml files?

Sorry I jumped the gun on that one...I was able to use another tenant on Monthly update to get the updated .admx and .adml files...however I am concerned these settings wont be properly recognized due to the client machines under this original tenant being on the Semi-Annual cycle...is that correct based on what a few others stated above?

The documentation has been updated per your feedback. Thanks Thomas!

You're correct, the newest ADMX drops won't work for clients that haven't been updated to rely on the new ADMX implementation. You can confirm if the client has this capability by looking for the ADMX folder on machines that are updated semi-annually.

If the ADMX folder isn't present in %localappdata%/Microsoft/OneDrive/<build>/ on these machines, you can use the legacy ADMX files to deploy policies. The legacy policies are located here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=717805

Hello everyone,

I am trying to implement One Drive Folder redirection, I followed the steps by Paul blog as well as what is recommended by MS, however, I am seeing nothing happen when I log into my PC my documents doesn't get copied to One drive. When I run a rsop on my pc I see this notification not sure;  When a do a GPRESULT, I do see the security group that I have added my self to which the policy filters to only me. 

What is the latest update on getting this process working?

@Dwayne Salmon wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am trying to implement One Drive Folder redirection, I followed the steps by Paul blog as well as what is recommended by MS, however, I am seeing nothing happen when I log into my PC my documents doesn't get copied to One drive. When I run a rsop on my pc I see this notification not sure;  When a do a GPRESULT, I do see the security group that I have added my self to which the policy filters to only me.