Still wondering why I'm not receiving an e-mail when sharing a file from ODFB

MVP

Can anyone refresh my mind why this is still happening in some tenants :-)? cc @Salvatore Biscari @Stephen Rice

10 Replies

Please give a look to this thread: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/External-user-email-notifications-when-sharing-a-s...

In the thread @Stephen Rice said: "These mails are not CC'd to the sharer (note: we are building this feature soon) which is why you did not receive a notification in your inbox."

I guess the feature is still rolling out...

Mmm...what I'm also seeing is that the person I'm sharing the file/folder with is also not receiving the e-mail what it's totally unexpected

In the same thread @Stephen Rice said: "... if you are sharing the team site with a new external user (i.e. they have never been shared with from your tenant before), SPO will send an external sharing invitation."

Could it be that the the person you are sharing the file/folder with is not "new"?

In my particular scenario, both users are organizational users and SPO is configured so sharing is only allowed between users in the organization...some additional information about customer scenario:
(1) No First Release enabled
(2) Users are licensed under a E2 Plan for NGO

OK, the problem is clear.

Let's see if Stephen Rice will chime in...

Chiming in as requested :) 

To make sure I understand the scenario clearly: You (a user in Company X) are sharing a resource on an ODB or Team Site to User A, also in Company X. When you share, neither you nor the recipient is receiving the sharing mail. 

If that's the case, then that is certainly not good! Can you confirm a few other details for me?

1) Are you sharing on an ODB or a team site? 

2) If on ODB, are you sharing an anonymous or organization link? Or is it a direct share (i.e. a permission)

3) Does the target user get permission to the file? If they go to Shared With Me in ODB, does the file show up? If you send them an arbitrary link to the file, can they access it? 

Thanks!

Ey Stephen,
Thank you for your support :-)...let me answer your questions:
(1) Sharing on ODFB
(2) I'm just sharing a file. Anonymous sharing is not allowed in the organization
(3) Yeap, the target user is able to see the file in the Shared with me folder and I send a file to the file, the user can access it

My pleasure!

And it sounds like the sharing itself is happening fine, but there's something wrong with the email trigger itself. Can you send your e-mail to srice@microsoft.com? I want to spin up an e-mail thread with an engineer so we can debug with you more directly. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

My pleasure!

And it sounds like the sharing itself is happening fine, but there's something wrong with the email trigger itself. Can you e-mail me directly? I want to spin up an e-mail thread with an engineer so we can debug with you more directly. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II