Sharing the same file across different Onedrive Folders

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to upload a link, and link it so its located on multiple folders on OneDrive? The purpose would be to ensure that while the file exists in multiple folders, editing it in one location would ensure that the changes propagate to wherever the file is.

27 Replies
Thank you, solution worked perfectly

@Peter_Revill I tried creating a shortcut. It works in the explorer/desktop mode, but not in browser mode. In the browser, it creates a link, not a folder. An 'error' message appears stating "Hmmm...it looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you." It then prompts a download folder, which also doesn't work. It's very clunky and cumbersome. 

@Chris Webb The logic for me is i'm an English teacher and all of my planning resources are on one-drive in subfolders. So, I have one folder for all of my texts and their related resources, but another folder for more general topics like genre or visual imagery. What I want to do is link a few key texts into my genre folder, so they're there for easy access if I am say looking at planning a genre study, but then also have them in my subfolder for texts in case I want to do them separately; but I can't just copy/ past the folder because when I add resources to it. For instance, if I am collecting resources for Frankenstein, I'd want them to appear in my Frankenstein subfolder under both the 'text' folder and the gothic horror sub folder of my genre folder, so when I am looking for ideas as to what to teach, I see Frankenstein as an option for a gothic horror genre study or a standalone novel study. 

I've tried linking and that kind of works, but I also use One-drive on the desktop, and the link only takes you to the online browser and while that's not a deal-breaker, it would be good to move between linked folders as  smoothly as you go between normal folders.

How can you make sure that only the owner can edit? I change the statut to view only before sharing but when the person open it in his folder he still have the edit option. Thanks!
Either it's been shared before, at the folder level, or possibly if an internal user uses a link it may have added direct permission for the user. If it's an office document, you can open the file, then click Share in the top right corner and there is a Manage access option. Go there and you can see the direct access permissions. If that is clean, you can click Advanced, then check the advanced permissions page and see there what current permissions are and if you need to reinherit permissions or not etc.
Is there a solution to this issue (without the need to create a link)?
There are many reasons why one would want to have a shortcut file in more folders.
For instance, we have a quotation from a supplier. We would like that file to be in the folder of the specific supplier but also at the folder of Financials.
Another reason is to avoid duplicates
Another reason is that different departments have different expertise and use the file in different ways.
Accessibility issues and customised organization
Simplified management for each department
Cross referencing AND above all that all organizations in the world have limited resources is ... TIME.

Totally agree @Petros87. I hope MS are working on fixing up the messy way that file links currently work, or don't to be more precise.

First of I would like to say this is a massive pain as I use google drive, where you can do this and not employ a work around. 

I believe I have worked a solution out, but it will only work if the end user's computer is online. 

1. Create a shareable link, either one anyone can edit or only certain users. ...copy link. 

2. In Windows File Explorer, Go to fold and location in which you would like the share item to appear. 

3. right-click in an empty space and select new

4. select shortcut

5. paste the copied link from step 2.

6. next and name as you wish.

7.Finish. 

And that's done, pressing this shortcut will open the item in your browser, and you can then edit in the app under editing.  Although it's not as ideal as the function in Google Drive it works as expected and will do for now. 

My first thought was to create a batch file but this wouldn't work if opening it on a browser, while this does!