Sharing files to Non-Microsoft account external receipents via OneDrive using Outlook

Copper Contributor

When I share a file via the upload to OneDrive option in Outlook, I have the option to set the permissions as follows: 

1. Anyone can Edit

2. Anyone can View

3. Organization can Edit

4. Organization can View

5. Recipient can Edit

6. Recipient can View

When I choose 1 or 2, the external or Organization user can access the files with no problem.  Also when checking the permissions via the OneDrive web client, you can see the Anyone permission has been applied to the file.  This behavior is expected.

When I choose 3 or 4, only Organization users can access the files with no problem.  Also when checking the permissions via the OneDrive web client, you can see the Organization permission has been applied.  This behaviour is expected.

When I choose 5 or 6, only Organization, Microsoft account, or AzureAD users can access the files with no problem, non microsoft users (gmail, yahoo, etc) is only given a signin option.  This option fails and the user is force to create a Microsoft Account.  Also when checking the permissions via the OneDrive web client, the non-microsoft user permission did not apply.  This behaviour is Not expected.

Furthermore, if I share the file via OneDrive on web to the non-microsoft external user.  The user receives a Verification Code Request and is able to access the file.  Also, the user does NOT show up in AzureAD.  This behaviour is expected.

There must be some setting that I am missing?  Thanks for any help. 

1 Reply

@Dominic Booker 

For option 5 and 6, it is expected behaviour that Gmail users will need to create a Microsoft Account. I also believe that you would not see the permissions applied until the Gmail user has successfully accepted the invitation. 

What you could do for Gmail accounts is try and implement this - https://campbell.scot/sign-in-to-azure-ad-using-google-with-azure-ad-external-identities/