SOLVED

SharePoint Online Team Sites - AutoMount

Brass Contributor

Hi All

The OneDrive for Business sync client GPO Team Site AutoMount feature still not available. Any ETA on GA?

Thanks

Chandrasekaran C N

71 Replies

@Christian Taveras The only thing I can say for certain is the GPO is 100% being applied to my workstation.

@Christian Taveras have you got files on demand also applied under GPO as I believe this is a requirement for this functionality to work.

BY THE WAY: I have located an issue with permissions I was facing.
If anyone will face the sam, that you are changing permissions to the sites but those are locked with padlock in file explorer still, there is an option under each site options under:
Documents -> Settings -> Versioning settings -> Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited? -> SET TO NO

This is live change but you have to do this for every library you want to change permissions to.

Howdy!

I've been working with Microsoft and finally got this figured out today, and working consistently. Please see below for instructions to get this working:

Pre-Requisites:

Tenant ID (A):

• First, get your tenant ID using the steps in the following document:
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/find-your-office-365-tenant-id
  • Copy this address somewhere like notepad, it will be in a format of XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX......
  • Next we need to replace the dashes with their HTML format: %2D
    • For example: 11111-11111-11111..... should become:
    • 11111%2D11111%2D11111.....
  • Make note of this newly formatted ID

Library ID:

• Navigate to the library you are trying to sync
  • Press "Sync"
  • Press "Copy library ID"
  • Press "Allow Access" if it pops up
  • Paste the ID somewhere like notepad.

Formatting the URL (B):

• In the library ID look for the following line and paste it in another location in notepad:
  • webUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fyourdomain%2Esharepoint%2Ecom%2Fsites%2Fsitename
  • We now need to un-format this from HTML and put it as a regular URL. So, the line above would become:
  • webUrl=https://yourdomain.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename
  • Make note of the newly formatted URL.

Putting it all together:

Now we need to take all of the information we gathered and create the final library ID.

• Find your un-edited Library ID.
  • Make the following changes to the URL:
    • tenantId=<Your updated tenantId> - (A) listed above.
    • webUrl=<Your updated URL> - (B) listed above.
  • Your final result should look like below:
  • tenantId=XXXXXXXX%2DXXXX%2DXXXXX.....&siteId=.....&webId=.....&listId=.....&folderId=.....&webUrl=https://yourdomain.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename&version=1

Creating the GPO:

Now follow the steps in the the "Use Group Policy to control OneDrive sync client settings" document to create your group policy (Mine is based on User):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy

• Deploy the GPO to your test machine(s)
  • Ensure that the registry gets successfully updated

Waiting:

This will not work right away, no matter how much rebooting, closing/opening OneDrive, refreshing group policy you do. After some time passes, something will trigger the sync and the folder (should) will magically appear for you. For me; it took 2 hours from when the GPO was applied, to when it decided to sync itself.

My config:

OneDrive:   19.123.0624.0005

Hope that helps!

@Deleted I wonder why that worked for me without copying an tennant ID but with the literally copied sync path directly from library i want to sync.

I fell this is literally massive BETA test:)

@pgawronski 

I wonder that too! While working with Microsoft they sent me a URL to test with, and I noticed it was the ID that I described in the instructions. What is odd is that if you do the whole "Copy Library ID" it has a totally different tenantID. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you very much for sharing, Cactur! After weeks of searching and communicating with Microsoft support, this finally made it work on our side too!
You may have replication issues in your domain as it did it right away for us here's a command you can type to see what's going on with your domains sync repadmin /replsummary "DomainName"
ColachoMendoza, I don’t suspect that an AD replication issue is occurring here, whereby it took a couple hours for the auto-mount config to work on the endpoint after applying the GPO. It is very clear in the auto mount team sites policy config documentation that the config may take up to 8 hours to take effect, which is by design to balance the load of the requests.

I saw a similar time delay even when creating the respective registry keys manually, which is all the GPO is doing.
@ColachoMendoza what version of OneDrive you have if you don’t mind me asking as maybe they have fixed this with the latest client release.
right now 19.123.0624.0005 I don't think thre's been many updates but certainly may be this is the latest.

as this is what they have up for Download OneDrive for Windows - 19.103.0527.0003 (July 15, 2019)
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/onedrive-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0...

@ColachoMendoza , yeah I am on the same version, it is syncing fine on my end just thought it may be the case for the quicker update/sync on the endpoints.

@ColachoMendoza Also, have you re-formated the library ID as per above post suggestion? with clean WebURL?

Is anyone not seeing "Copy Library ID" after clicking "Sync" on a SPO document library? I have tried in Chrome, IE, and Edge, and in incognito/private mode in all 3 browsers. I have a ticket open, but the tech was also not sure why. 

Anyone else seen this behavior?

@jaketech9  I presume you are Main Admin for your tenant as well as the main admin for sharepoint?

Also is this "Document Library" ? and have you tried viewing it in classic view?

Please note, Microsoft support admitted that the output from the Copy Library ID button not having the proper tenantID in the string, which causes auto-mount to not work when using that specific output without changes, is a bug that they are now actively fixing. They indicated they will be fixing the output of the Copy Library ID to work as-is without modification for the auto-mount config. In the meantime, they suggested just swapping out your AAD Directory ID for the string after “TenantID=“ and before the next ‘&’.

I’m glad there is at least a valid workaround for this, but still scratching my head as to how this auto-mount feature was released to GA when there is quite obviously an issue with how the documentation instructs you to configure it...

@pgawronski Hey, thanks for the reply! 

Yes to all of your questions, I am a Global Administrator and I am also a SharePoint Admin. I have tried in the classic experience as well with no luck. Do I need to be the Primary Admin on those sites as well?

@jaketech9 I am primary site admin for testing purposes and i have this option still  so you may want to try that, also look what @Chris Shalda said above.

But I agree @Chris Shalda this is ridiculous that they are actually testing this feature on us.

@pgawronski I did see what he said. It is sad, but I honestly wouldn't mind having to manipulate the Tenant ID and other parts if I could get it to work. 

My issue is getting all the other parts of the Library ID, such as the Web ID, Site ID, Folder ID and List ID. I have no way to retrieve all of these without the "Copy Library ID" button.

I double checked with a site I am the Primary Admin on, still no luck. 

@jaketech9 have a look for powershell commands to gain this info maybe?

@jaketech9 Copying the LIB ID from the sync option in the Doc Lib is the way to go.

I had the same issue trying to piece together the LIB ID, it never worked.

I also was unable to see the COPY LIB option and MS had me turn on some settings inside the actual library to get this option to display.  I am trying to locate that setting again but not having any luck.  I emailed the MS tech that worked the case.  If he gets back to me with the info i will post here asap.

Forgot to mention, once I had this option show and copied the id from there and placed into GPO next day it was working.