Sharepoint and Onedrive

Copper Contributor

I'm getting ready to implement Sharepoint with Onedrive.  In testing I don't seem to have files synchronized in all three platforms (on-premise/Onedrive/Sharepoint).  Can explain if this is possible to do?

I saw a post which sounds like you cannot do it?

3 Replies

Not sure what you mean here, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Well, trying to understand how to migrate user data and permissions. Do I need to create a site specifically data to be migrated and assign permissions accordingly?
If I perform the above, how will that relate/sync with Onedrive when people open Onedrive in explorer?

Yes, you need to create a Site (Site collection) and configure the permissions accordingly. Designing the structure depends on many factors, and without knowing anything about your current environment, no one can give you anything more than generic remarks. That said, there are multiple articles out there discussing the process and tools to use in such migration. Most of the tools support permission mapping as well.

Generally speaking, people will "add" content by clicking the Sync button on a given site/library. If you dump everything in a single location, they can select from the tree-view control, much like browsing a folder tree. But you should not aim to "sell" them OneDrive as a replacement for file shares and such.