Request Files announcement

Brass Contributor

I just saw the Request Files feature in the admin portal and had a question in regards to its availability.

In the announcement, it says this: 

"What do I need to do to prepare for this change?

This feature is on by default for tenants that have already enabled Anyone edit links for folders.

There is nothing you need to do to prepare for this change, but you may consider updating your user training and notifying your help desk. Learn more:"

Is this feature only available if you allow the anyone link type or is it also available if you have disabled the Anyone links?

22 Replies
Apparently is only available if you have the anyone link type enabled...but let's confirm it when the feature shows up

@Jordan Paris it basically means having these configured this way. 

1. OneDrive Slider on Anyone (Requires SharePoint there as well) 

2. Folder permissions to View,Edit,Upload for folder permission.  

request.jpg

Hi all,

I can confirm that you do need to have Anyone links enabled in order to get the Files Request feature. Let me know if you have other questions! 

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

@Stephen Rice , I am hoping you have some plans to make more granular permission levels because otherwise this feature is pretty useless. We do not allow sharing our files anonymously with external participants. We need to protect our data.

The protection around receiving files is of course quite different and it would be beneficial to be able to set that we can request files to be uploaded anonymously while at the same time our data can only be shared with named users.

Hi @Joost Koopmans,

This is absolutely something we are looking at and it's been one of the most prominent pieces of feedback we received. No timeline to share yet but we're actively exploring this now :) Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice I would also like to chime in on here and say not supporting companies that don't allow external sharing is a huge miss.  Thanks for working to getting this feature enabled for internal company use only.

Hi @Bruce Weatherford,

Thanks for the feedback! I'll ask you the question I've been asking elsewhere :) If you could enable only the Request Files link (e.g. you can get an anonymous upload only link but not an anonymous view or edit link), would this be something you could take advantage of? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice Yes! This is what my initial post was about in the hopes of that it would also be available for those who do not allow anonymous view/edit links.

Yes! In fact we have it already enabled but it does not work....@Stephen Rice 

clipboard_image_0.png

Hi @Jordan Paris,

Thanks for confirming! As I said earlier, nothing to share yet but definitely something we'll be looking at in the future!

Stephen Rice

Hi @Joost Koopmans,

Can you share a screenshot of your admin settings? It looks like something is disabled and preventing File Requests. Off the top of my head that could be:

• Anonymous/Anyone Links are disabled at the tenant level
  • Anonymous/Anyone Links are disabled for OneDrive
  • Anonymous/Anyone Edit Links for Folders are disabled.

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice Sorry, you missed my point. I was responding to your question 'if you could enable only the Request Files link (e.g. you can get an anonymous upload only link but not an anonymous view or edit link), would this be something you could take advantage of?' 
We have Anonymous/Anyone Links disabled at the tenant level but we really like to have the Request Files link working!

Hi @Joost Koopmans,

Ah, I understand now! Thanks for the validation and feedback!

Stephen Rice

@Stephen Rice This is a feature we need as well. We have anonymous sharing disabled, but would like the request files feature enables for our tenant. Any updates on progress for this enhancement?

Hi @Liana Johnson,

No updates as of yet. We've got this on our backlog but don't have a timeline just yet. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Why isn't the feature available in Sharepoint too? Especially considering that OD is more or less a component of Sharepoint, it can't be a technical reason.

Hi @Brian . 

We started with OneDrive but our plan is absolutely to bring this to SharePoint as well. No ETA yet unfortunately but something we are looking at. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

@Brian . Agree! I want to request files but not have my name on it (I want the name of my sharepoint instead!) 

Just wondering if there has been any progress in this timeline in the six months. This feature would be a boon to our org. We're currently wasting money on third party service for this simple function.