Reorganize Onedrive ADMX template folders to match MSFT standards for Policydefnitions

MVP

Dear Onedrive Team
many things you achieved are really awesome and cannot be missed anymore. 

For a long time now the ADMX structure in the Onedrive Client folder is not matching these of other products like

- Windows 10 / Server

- Office 

- Teams

- Edge

I plea to consider this change request to restructure the current folder to meet with the microsoft defaults.

Affected Products: Onedrive Client (incl. Onedrive for Business)

Affected versions: all

Usecase: Users/Admins can pick the files in the folder without intervention and place them to 

sysvol\policydefinitions

Requested Actions:

1a. Machine based installation:
rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OneDrive\buildnumber\adm to admx

1b. User based installation:

rename %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\BuildNumber\adm\ to admx

reason: The folder contains no legacy adm files but modern admx files

adm was used when it does really contain adm files (e.g. Office 2007/2010)

2.  rename the folder structure according to the unified language descriptors (also called culture codes)  

current: en / de / fr 

expected: 4 letter language code with this convention ab-cd

en-us, de-de, fr-fr, etc according to this list, as used in all other MSFT ADMX templates
Language Code Table (lingoes.net)

I see they are also using codes like en / de for not region specific languages like (German, with not further accent), yet this does not comply with the structure in Policydefinitions and Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) or eventually Intune.

3. Place the onedrive.adml into the specific (currently missing) subfolder en-US

current state

K_Wester-Ebbinghaus_0-1612890486069.png

expected structure (aside there are some languages not shown in this example.

K_Wester-Ebbinghaus_1-1612890670197.png

cc: @Stephen Rose 

Thank you very much on your feedback, perhaps also why Onedrive does actually differ here from other products, while I hope this is just unintended. 

3 Replies
Hello Onedrive Team,
I would like to learn if this has been reviewed and triaged. So far there has been no change in this regard.

Would it be possible to publish the ADMX files including a change history in Github so more people could be involved into the refinement of ADMX settings for Onedrive?

Where to find OneDrive ADMX files
(no you cannot download them, yet, from the OneDrive release notes page

OneDrive Installation Per user: 

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\Build Number\adm\ 

OneDrive Installation All Users 32 bit (x86): 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OneDrive\Build Number\adm 

OneDrive Installation All Users 64 bit (x64): 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\Build Number\adm 

The best approach to deal with the different approaches of how ADMX files are made available (zip, MSI, exe) and how they are stored (file-structure and locations) is certainly this project, I would like to shout-out. It offers a range of products and has proven long-term interests into being up to date.

https://github.com/msfreaks/EvergreenAdmx