Remove deletion permission for certain users in cloud folders

Copper Contributor

Hi all,
My company currently purchased OneDrive for Business license (plan 1) because we have the need to handle file containers in cloud.
Our need is particular. We need to have one (or more users) able to upload files in this cloud container (a folder with subfolders too), but unable to delete even the files they uploaded. Read permission could be available for some of these users.
Obviously we will have a "superuser" able to do everything on that container.
I thought that OneDrive for Business could have a proper way to manage permissions, but I still didn't find this.
IMHO the biggest problem is avoid deletion of files for the docs yet loaded by the user, because he is the owner of those docs.
Do you have any idea how to approach this issue? Even if you think that OneDrive FB is not the right idea, feel free to propose alternatives.
Thanks in advance for your support.
Germano

EDIT: important update - The company would prefer a solution in which the user with limited privileges (read folders content and upload new files, but neither editing nor deleting the uploaded files or the files yet on folders) can see the cloud folders in a filesystem view (typical Windows like) and using features like drag&drop file uploading, for example.

4 Replies
Look up the "Request Files" feature
Hi @Mike Williams,
Thanks for your reply.
The feature you suggested me is interesting, I'll surely deepen it.
I have only a question: Do you have idea if the link is permanent? I mean, when a folder has the "Request files"feature enabled, is the link to that folder always working or should it be generated sometimes (or every time)?

If the links are permanent, I could create a list of links to all the subfolders in which the employers can upload the proper files and make them upload what it's needed.

Which is instead a way to give to a specific user read-only permission to a folder (and its subfolders)?

Thanks and Regards
Germano

@Mike Williams I was talking with director he would prefer a solution in which the user with limited privileges (read folders content and upload new files, but neither editing nor deleting the uploaded files or the files yet on folders) can see the cloud folders in a filesystem view (typical Windows like) and using features like drag&drop for example.

You'll probably need to split out the upload (request) folder and the read-only folders. Use a Flow to automate moving uploaded files between them if necessary.