Photos in Album

Copper Contributor

I've been trying to experiment with using OneDrive for Business (Education) as a photo album - we have a number of courses that have a lot of images, so having a searchable resourcce that's tagged etc,. would be ideal. 

However, all my reading of help pages would suggest that the album features available in OneDrive for personal use isn't yet available for Business users. 

What other solutions have people found (preferably as easy as possible from a technical point of view)

Thanks. 

5 Replies

You could look at SharePoint Online, that could be a more suitable place to centralise these resources depending on requirements. This has a few ideas for this 

https://sharepointmaven.com/3-ways-store-images-sharepoint/

Also there is an upcoming feature that might be of interest - Central Asset Library

Organizations and teams will now be able to provide users an easy access to the organization’s approved images. For example, the Marketing department can share all the Marketing approved images that can be used by everyone in a centralized location.

https://blogit.create.pt/miguelisidoro/2018/11/21/whats-new-for-sharepoint-and-office-365-after-micr...

@Cian Allner 

Thanks - I don't think the 2nd option would work, as we're very much thinking about gruops of images for particular courses, rather than for the whole student body. 

However, I will investigate the first option - especially if I can see a way to have non-Uni wide tags. 

@Emmadukew I really don't understand why microsoft is not bringing the Photos part that is available in OneDrive Personal to the Business side. I think a lot of paying users are really waiting for this feature. I am. I'm now paying for multiple cloud services because MS doesn't provide this in OneDrive Business. To bad.

@tvdsluijs 

I am guessing because it is developed by the same morons that named two different products (OneDrive vs OneDrive for Business) with very similar names indistiguishable in a Google or Bing search. Like when they named many different products "Office365". Then when people started figuring it out they renamed it Microsoft 365.

Stupid is as stupid does.

While OneDrive for Business (Education) may not offer the album features available in the personal version, there are alternative solutions for creating a searchable resource for your course images. One option is to utilize Microsoft SharePoint, which integrates closely with OneDrive and offers advanced document management and tagging capabilities. By creating a SharePoint site specifically for your courses, you can organize images into libraries and utilize metadata tagging for easy searching. Another option could be utilizing third-party tools like Google Drive or Dropbox, which offer similar cloud storage features and may have more user-friendly album organization options. Whichever solution you choose, ensure it aligns with your technical capabilities and integrates smoothly with your existing workflow.