SOLVED

People with existing access - why?

Iron Contributor

I kind of understand the rationale behind this option, but for end users it doesn't make sense to me.

Why would they choose this option in the first place?

Even if they knew the recipient has already access why would they share it again?

How do end users know if the recipient has already access?

They don't. They type it in, get the message that the recipient doesn't have access, they choose another option like Specific People and never use People with existing access again

Please convince me to change my mind :)

clipboard_image_0.png

And by the way, why is this not the same as the Sharing settings?

Existing guests = People with existing access

New and existing guests = ?

clipboard_image_1.png

3 Replies

It's simply used to get the link or generate notification to sent to said users. It doesn't change the permissions.

Guest access is something else altogether. 

@mikkele I actually use this all the time when I want to resend out a link to the file or folder to folks.  It's very handy.

best response confirmed by mikkele (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @mikkele,

Happy to shed some further light here!

The "People with Existing Access" option is often used on Team Sites where users or admins have spent additional time customizing the permissions. In those cases, they may not want to further expand the permissions, but just take advantage of those that exist. It can also be used when sharing particularly sensitive content where you want to ensure that you aren't accidentally giving someone access.

The sliders you are seeing are actually separate from the 4 sharing options in the share dialog. The sliders represent the type of external sharing you want to allow in your organization. 

Hope that helps clear things up!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mikkele (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @mikkele,

Happy to shed some further light here!

The "People with Existing Access" option is often used on Team Sites where users or admins have spent additional time customizing the permissions. In those cases, they may not want to further expand the permissions, but just take advantage of those that exist. It can also be used when sharing particularly sensitive content where you want to ensure that you aren't accidentally giving someone access.

The sliders you are seeing are actually separate from the 4 sharing options in the share dialog. The sliders represent the type of external sharing you want to allow in your organization. 

Hope that helps clear things up!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

View solution in original post