OneDrive

Copper Contributor

Greetings. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place because I'm not a business subscriber but this is the only OneDrive support community I was able to find and I got here using a link from my personal OneDrive page. So with that said, if I'm indeed not in the right place I'm open to someone pointing me in the direction that I should be.

I will state my issue here in hopes that even if I'm not, someone can give me some info. I was subscribed to Office 365 which offers more storage than a free account, however I cancelled because I can't afford it at the moment because of other more important obligations. Basically, my hours have been reduced and it's an expense that I don't need. Anyway, my storage has now exceeded what my plan offers. I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I've followed several online how tos about getting my files so that they are on my pc in order to uninstall OneDrive, but I'm not confident enough to actually do it yet and my account is still showing that I'm over my storage limit. I've been trying to do this on my own, but I guess it's beyond me, or I'm missing something. It's saying I have 12.xx gb of content in a 5gb limit. I have followed the instructions on how to make sure my files are available offline, but they are still in a Onedrive folder on my pc. So my question is; if i uninstall OneDrive, will it delete that folder that's on my computer with all the files that I had stored in OneDrive in it? And if so, what can I do to avoid this? I've started copying the folders to another location on my pc just in case it does delete the folder but I wanted to ask a professional first. Thanks for any feedback/input. If I'm not even on the right track, I would need to know how I could get the files in OneDrive down below the over limit threshold without losing any files. I'm starting to wish I'd never set up OneDrive to begin with and I'm definitely glad that I've made the decision to not trust my data to any online cloud service 100% and buy one of these new laptops with ridiculously small SSD drives. I held out and bought another real laptop and an external HDD and optical drive. I'll keep copies of my files right here at home with me thanks!

1 Reply

Hi @DellRay  

It's a little hard to work out exactly what you're asking as there's so much background information about what's going on in your life. I understand that's important to you, but all that other stuff really does make it harder to read, especially in one long paragraph. There's also details missing about the type of Office 365 account (as it usually comes with 1TB rather than 5GB of storage).

One thing I can say is that if you uninstall OneDrive it won't delete any of your data files, but you should make sure that you have them as local copies first, and not "on demand" copies that are actually stored in the cloud.

As far as having files in the cloud goes that's not really a problem for most people as long you don't have all your eggs in one basket. I have something like 6TB of cloud storage spread across OneDrive and DropBox accounts, and some offline copies. Be careful about having your data only in one location like your house, as then it is all subject to fire, theft and other accidents, not to mention decay of optical media.

You might like to start by restating want you want as simply as possible, and then anything I've missed or misinterpreted will be clearer.