OneDrive Sync Client Reset to block NGSC after each reboot

Copper Contributor

I'm having a problem with the registry setting to disable File Sync NGSC being reset on PCs after every boot. It's being changed back to 1 from a setting of 0 which will allow the NGSC to run.

The full setting is: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive\DisableFileSyncNGSC

Our SharePoint site is set to start the old client in the admin portal. I am able to load and launch the NGSC after setting the registry (above) back to 0 after reboot. I'm not finding anything that is setting this in the organizations GPOs. I'm just not sure why this is being reset each time - is the portal setting making this come back?

Additionally I'm not able to find a suitable GPO with any newer options to be able to force this globally to 0. We want to get over to the NGSC but this is keeping us from getting there.

I welcome any thought on this.

Rob

10 Replies

The relevant policy is "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage". You should disable it.

See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-or-uninstall-OneDrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb...

I'm looking at my DC's GPOs and can't find the setting described as recommended by Salvatore.  

A couple of things:

1. Have you installed the latest adm templates on the DC?
  2. Could the policy be instead configured locally on the affected machine(s)?

The latest admx policy file that I can find has a SkyDrive file, not a onedrive. I must not be looking in the right place.

Finally able to get the proper GPO in place to set this. No one seemed to know how the setting was getting pushed down as there was no GPO specifically setting it. We now have the GPO overriding what ever was forcing it. Too many cooks in the kitchen I think.

Glad to hear that it worked!

Can you please let me know which GPO you applied to override?

@Karthikeyan Ramaswamy

The path to the GPO is:

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ OneDrive\ Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage

GP Search Link:
https://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#10994

Had same issue on my laptop, NGSC was set to 1 every time I run "gpupdate /force", but I couldn't find which GPO changed it. Finally from gpreport.html, I found "Winning GPO" is "Local Group Policy". Run gpedit and found "Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ OneDrive\ Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" in local policy.

Disabled it and the problem is fixed.