OneDrive StandAlone Update on Conference Room computers

Copper Contributor

For shared computers, such as conference rooms, I would like to know what other folks are doing to keep the OneDrive client up to date, without causing a disruption to the user.

We don't really have control over the update process.  The resulting issue for a shared resource such as a conference room pc is that the OneDrive StandAlone Updater Task launches off, often times during a presentation, resulting in DOS command windows popping up in front of the presentation.  I believe that the last step in the update process is to run the following commands that result in the DOS command windows popping up.  How does your company handle this situation?

"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /q /c rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\21.030.0211.0002"
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /q /c rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\21.030.0211.0002\amd64"
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /q /c del /q "C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\StandaloneUpdater\OneDriveSetup.exe"
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /q /c del /q "C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update\OneDriveSetup.exe"

4 Replies

@MrPullman 
Besides your very valid technical question, I would like to ask if you really think, that such a shared PC in a conference room is a great idea in the first place.

There are so many littel or big details to make this both great to use for the users and secure on the other hand, that you might be better with insisting on BOYD or roll out of MTR Teams Rooms Systems.

Shared device in conference rooms tend to become more or less useless over time, not only but also because of unexpected updates, overrunning disks after zillion different users logged on and got their profile downloaded, looooong waiting times for new users logging on this very machine for the first time because of all sorts of GPO, software installation, etc..

Long story short: YES, it certainly can be made to work, but do not expect it to be as easy as a user's desktop PC.

@Harald_Steindl,

Thank you for the response.  Those are very valid questions.  I will take those questions in order.  If I understand your answer correctly, you avoid the issue by not having shared computers in your conference rooms and have taken the path of either a Teams Room or BYOD and share content from the device you bring with you.

Besides your very valid technical question, I would like to ask if you really think, that such a shared PC in a conference room is a great idea in the first place.

For our organization we do.  We provide a locked down computer with office, a wall mount display, an audio/video solution, and wireless display capabilities.  This allows a person to present with either their device or the provided computer.  Most times the person will use both, their personal device to take notes, and the shared on to present with.

There are so many littel or big details to make this both great to use for the users and secure on the other hand, that you might be better with insisting on BOYD or roll out of MTR Teams Rooms Systems.

With 300+ conference rooms, the cost of the MTR's is a big drawback for us.  Out of consistency we build each conference room the same.  The build is minimal.  Office, locked down OS, shortcuts to teams online.  Group policy to erase profiles not used in 15 days.  Group Policy to reboot each computer each evening at 1:20AM if there are no active or inactive sessions.

Shared device in conference rooms tend to become more or less useless over time, not only but also because of unexpected updates, overrunning disks after zillion different users logged on and got their profile downloaded, looooong waiting times for new users logging on this very machine for the first time because of all sorts of GPO, software installation, etc..

Our logon time is generally about 50 seconds in this configuration as measure by from the time the person enters a password to when they can click 'join meeting' in teams.  We us Windows Update for Business, WUfB, and coupled with the nightly reboots, patching only happens outside the set 'Active Hours' of Windows 10.  Updating during the day is not an issue EXCEPT for OneDrive.

Long story short: YES, it certainly can be made to work, but do not expect it to be as easy as a user's desktop PC.

Again, thank you for your input.  I will take into consideration what you have said.  It is helpful.

thank you for your detailed report. As you already digged into GPOs and such, your setup looks quite valid. This is where many try to take short cuts.