OneDrive sharing out of outlook

Brass Contributor

Weird issue I was wondering if anyone has run into.  We have OneDrive sharing options configured to have links expire to anon users after 5 days.  However we'll have a link expire immediately when shared out of Outlook.  

Good example which literally just happened.  I created an Excel file and sent it to my team via outlook as a link.  I got an email about 5 min later with a screenshot that said the link had expired.  Note, this particular file was also in my Shared with everyone folder, so I don't think it's a permissions issue.

Any ideas?

14 Replies

Hi @John Nash,

Let's see if we can figure this out! What I suspect is happening is that on Day 1, someone created a link to the document with the 5 day expiration. On Day 6, Outlook attempted to send that same link as well and didn't notify you that the expiration was expired. If you create a brand new document and do the same actions, does the recipient still see the expiration message? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Can OneDrive be a replacement for file server?

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification anyone had responded.

Anyway - so this is a real life example that happened the day I posted the question.

1. Created a spreadsheet for my team to fill out for me.

2. Saved to my OneDrive via excel

3. Composed and email from Outlook, selected the file as a link attachment via OneDrive.

about 5 minutes later someone on my team replies back to me with the attached screenshot.

Also - it'll tell you when a shared link is going to expire?

We're exploring using OneDrive as a replacement for Home folders on file servers as it makes them somewhat redundant, but it's not meant to replace a file server.  If you want to do that, look at Sharepoint online.  Azure also has some interesting things such as Azure file shares and sync, which stores all your content in the cloud and then caches the accessed files on a little file server in an office for you.. neat stuff.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-how-to-create-file-share <- file share

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-for-azure-file-sync <- file sync, I'm itching to try this.

Hi @John Nash,

In OD/SP Web, yes, it will tell you that the link is expired. In Outlook though, you won't see that error just yet. 

In your attached example, can you expand the "technical details" part of the error message and send it to me? That will help us investigate. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Sure - I'll try to reproduce it today and send you a copy of the info.

I created a OneNote Notebook that I wanted to share with my team, copied the sharing link from OneNote and then sent it.  I didn't set any expiration on the link from OneNote.  The error is below:

Sorry, the link has expired.

The link was set to expire after a certain amount of time. Please contact the person who shared this link with you.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Thanks @John Nash, I'll forward this to the rest of the team and we'll investigate. Are you only seeing this with OneNote files or is it happening with all files? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi @John Nash,

It looks like that link expired back in August. Can you try creating a brand new document in your OneDrive and see if the message still occurs? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Was happening in all files, at least that's what I've noticed.

It's weird man.  I created a test document yesterday and emailed it out and the person I sent it to got it with no issues.  It seems either situational or just intermittant, I haven't quite been able to put my finger on it yet.  However it should just be create the doc and forward the link in OL and it works..

@John Nash,

No worries. For that OneNote example you sent me earlier, when was the file created? Had you just created it or was it an older notebook? If you had just created it, can you open up file activity and send me the screenshot with the creation date? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

It was actually a notebook I created about 6 months back specifically for sharing with meetings and I explicitly gave them permission inside of OneNote and then embedded a link in a meeting request.  Note the date in the shot.

The really weird thing is that if I went into the notebook and clicked on the page and copied a link to it and then emailed it that way it worked.

Hi @John Nash,

The screenshot doesn't show up but I think this makes sense. When you created the sharing link 6 months ago, the link got created with the expiration date set in August (or whenever it was). I'm not super familiar with OneNote's ability to share individual pages but I know we don't support sharing individual pages independent of the notebook so it's probably copying a direct link in those cases. Thanks!

Stephen Rice