OneDrive Search File Contents

Brass Contributor

OneDrive is no longer searching file contents. I used to get search results from file contents before but all of a sudden it's showing results only if it matches the filename. What could be the issue? Pls help

Update: Microsoft has finally fixed this issue. I'm getting my search results as expected. Others, pls share your experience.

47 Replies
I'm also just realizing it looks like it kind of works, but the search term has to be an exact match. Is anybody else seeing this or just me?

@marcus2400 

It's much better. However, Since it wasn't working I start to synch the folder to Google drive as well. Many times I find in Google what I couldn't find with Microsoft. 

@csnarain 

What did Microsoft say we should do to fix the problem? :( Please tell us how to get Onedrive to search the contents in all files in the web app!  I can't find a link to the answer in your updated post. T_T

After 3 years, still the. On different accounts, both Business and Personal. OneDrive can't find invoice, OneDrive can't find document, OneDrive can't find pdf. etc. etc. Google Drive - no problem. Dropbox - no problem. OneDrive - always some problem and Microsoft is ignoring (or they don't know how to fix it) for years. Sad.

Yes, sad indeed. I finally gave up and moved all our files to another provider. There PDF search works as expected. PDF search is a very import function in finding data in tens of thousands of documents. We also decided against moving our ERP system to MS Dynamics. We can't afford having our business out on some bug which takes months to get fixed (if it gets fixed at all).

Onedrive can search fulltext in the webapp, but not through the file Explorer. Microsoft has not fixed this problem for 3 years now!! Once I take my files out of the Onedrive folder the fulltext search works without any problems.

@S-a-v-i 

I have not checked this search issue in a while, so I just tried.  It looks like my results are the opposite to yours.  The OneDrive search works well for me when I'm in File Manager, and I can either search for a whole word or just a character string (i.e. part of a word).  But search does not work when I am in the webapp.

@Vivek_Hutheesing It's a mistery. That's what it is. But it makes me angry that I have to pay for it.