Onedrive readonly (green locks)

Copper Contributor

I've recently installed the latest preview build on the next-gen OneDrive client. I installed this version to test SharePoint document library syncing. I'm able to sync document libraries, but all folders and files appear to be read only on my laptop. I also see green lock icons instead of green checkmarks on all these files and folders. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I already tried to reset OneDrive and did a complete reinstall. Unfortunately I still see the green locks. I have these locks only with team sites. My personal OneDrive is working without problems.

2017-01-15_14-29-37.png

44 Replies

I have tried everything thats on the form with the Metadata Required filed option to be set as "Optional". Even Microsft working on it, but still the lock stays.

please help!!

I am not an expert but found my solution from posts above so 

All seems to be OK this morning

Hi Megan,

What solution did you use to get this fixed?

I have the same issue with One user only. Everyone else can sync the library without locks. Versioning is off and Check out is off from the get go so don't know why this one user has the issue

I have the same green lock in "One drive" aka "OneDrive.exe" However i also have "One drive for busness" aka "GROOV.EXE" syncing the same share-point sites... and this works fine.

Capture.PNG

So if this is a limitation of the "OneDrive.exe" 

Ok so spent 45 mins on the phone to Microsoft to find out that there is another setting you have to turn off if your using it. (not just the check in feature but the approvals one also!)

"Require content approval for submitted items?" needs to be set to "NO"

This will also automatically set " Who should see draft items in this document library?" to "Any user who can read items" 

These options can be found under "Library settings" -> "version Settings

Hope this helps someone

I believe what Microsoft have done here is break one thing to fix another.

Before, I could add a file to a document library with required columns via a synced file explorer and bypass the required column.

In order to fix this issue, they have disabled my ability to do this, which in turn, stops me from editing files.

Hi @Oderbang,

Did MS say that this is way the product is supposed to work? Or a "Oops we will try to fix it!" moment?

@Dhiran Gajjar They didn't say either. 

However what I will say is that they are well aware that the features need to be switched of in order for it to unlock the documents. They also didn't offer an alternative to use OneDrive with those features switched on.

When I suggested i need those enabled they said then you need to use share point online to access the documents.

Thank you very much for this solution, worked perfect for me. Files were read-only, once i made all the columns in the SP-list ' not required ', one-drive even send me a push-message, notifying me that the synced map is  now editable. Tested and works fine. 

Thanks!

Guess what worked for me? I went through this whole post until reaching @Oderbang who said the approval setting needs to be set to NO.

WELL, it was.....and always has been. Never once have I considered enabled the approval process for this library. However, out of desperation, I enabled Content Approval-> saved the change -> reopened library settings -> Version Settings -> disabled Content Approval and.....

Low and behold I got a pop up from ODB saying 'You can now edit your files'. I opened my File Explorer....yes...wait for it....and the LOCK WAS GONE!

Bless you @Oderbang   

TBC: will be checking with other library users who have sync it to the FE to see if this 'fix' also affects their experience. I'll let you know.

My end users have found that the files are no longer locked after they sync the library to their File Explorer. The problem is solved for me. Hope this my help others.

Hi,

I am experiencing the same thing, even after making them optional, it doesn't solve the problem and the issue still persists. Microsoft rep also said that its not a solution that Microsoft suggests. Did you get any further luck with this?

Thanks.

This work for me.

Thanks

Hi, I have tried all these suggestions and nothing works.  The site is a subsite which has been built from a site template.  Content types for the document library are from the parent site.  Includes folder content types.  Per-location views are enabled and default column values per folder.  I have stripped the library right back and the problem persists.  This is a huge problem as there are hundreds of project sites based on this template.  Mandatory metadata has been turned off, check out required off, content approval off... There is a retention hold policy on the site, yet other libraries on the same site can be sucessfully synced, so the issue is definitely with the library.

Have you worked with MS on this?

Yes we have a premiere support ticket. Ticket #:13695302 @adam deltinger @Fennix Mach 

A few weeks ago, several document libraries started syncing in Read Only mode.  The cause – several columns suddenly became mandatory behind the scenes. 

The site content types show the columns as optional, but mandatory columns from the base content type have re-appeared behind the scenes – hidden from view.

These columns are Owner, Record Type and Sensitivity. 

Fix

1. Go to “Library Settings” > “Advanced Settings
  2. In the first option, choose “No” on “Allow management of content type
  3. Then the column will display the “Required” tab in the library settings as my following first screenshot
  4. Click the columns which are required, and change to option “Require that this column contains information” to No
  5. After changing the columns back to optional, the folder in OneDrive should become available immediately

6. Then we could go back to “Advanced Settings”, then enable content type again

7. Finally, check that the files are again editable in OneDrive.

this is a bug.  We have asked Microsoft to investigate what changed.  We have this problem for thousands of libraries and the workaround is unacceptable.

@Nicolle Brice THANK YOU SO MUCH, this workaround worked for us. No more lock icons in Files On Demand. 

@pharphel it is pretty poor.  We didn't have a problem with this until a couple of months ago.  Something changed... now it's a "Limitation".  Confidence in the platform was greatly diminished as many high value document libraries were affected.  Even though no mandatory columns existed for the library and site content type, for some reason the original state of the base/parent content type was suddenly being remembered in the background.  The product team are working to update the sync client to allow editable synchronization of SharePoint sites with mandatory columns.  We had a premiere ticket, but seems they don't care.  We have to tell site owners to manually employ this fix to more than 500 affected libraries. 

@Nicolle Brice you are absolutely correct. I myself have repeatedly spoken with MS Support about FOD issues and they were not even aware of this workaround to resolve it. We only have a handful of sites so this was not a major issue, save for the fact that anything can seem to break it after an update is rolled out. It does make user adoption and site management (we are on classic mode) tenuous. Very frustrating.