OneDrive Known Folder Move creating duplicate files

Copper Contributor

We started moving files from a personal folders on a shared network to OneDrive using a 3rd party tool.   We had Documents, Desktop and Pictures mapped to the shared network and want to remap to OneDrive Microsoft released Know Folder Move while we are in the process.  It seems like we should use KFM to remap the folders, but when we have tested this, it makes duplicate copies of the files in OD.  Do I need to delete all the local copies before remapping or am I missing something?

5 Replies

Did you ever get an answer on this issue?  I've just started testing KFM and have found the same issue with duplicates.  I'm trying to figure out what to do about it.

Thanks,

Bill

Not really, they thought it might have been something with this the tool that got fixed with a newer release.  It seemed limited to a few users, but the project got put on hold and I moved on to a different project.

@Craig Jahnke 

Is this what you are experiencing? Where you get copy of copies of shortcuts? 

@Carlos Cordeiro 

Yes I have the same problem during testing to prepare to go from Folder Redirection to KFM.  I used the process at the bottom of this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/redirect-known-folders

Even though I left the files on the file server I think offline files is leaving an offline copy on the client that then gets copied to OneDrive and creates duplicates.  I might need a policy to disable offline files or possibly just reset offline files and then reboot.

HI,

OneDrive PC Folder Backup is similar to Windows Offline Files or folder redirection. Meaning they don't work well together so you need to turn off Offline files before using OneDrive PC Folder Backup.

And you could delete the copy files something like this(when you run this script as admin/system or as user)

$DesktopPath = "C:\Users\*\*\desktop\*.*"

Get-ChildItem -Path $DesktopPath -Filter *.lnk | Where {$_.Name -like "Microsoft Edge - copy*.lnk" -or $_.Name -like "Microsoft Teams - copy*.lnk" -or $_.Name -like "Microsoft Edge Beta - copy*.lnk"} | Remove-Item -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue