SOLVED

OneDrive for Business (Groove.exe) Critical Error with SP 2016 On-Premises

Copper Contributor

For a few days, I'm getting the following error and the OneDrive for Business (Groove.exe) client crashes :
OneDrive for Business needs to close because of a hardware or configuration problem.
Error description: No such interface supported.
HRESULT: 0x80004002
AssertTag: {changes every time}

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the latest SharePoint 2016 August 2020 updates (KB4484473 & KB4484476) ?

It feels like they happened around the same time.

(NB: I also started a thread in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/66090/onedrive-for-business-grooveexe-critical-er... )

3 Replies
I have the same issue, the error pops up every time I open File Explorer and some Explorer locations like "My Downloads" will never completely load. These popups occur every minute or two and happen as long as Explorer is open or about 6 or 8 times after it's been closed.
No 'OneDrive for Biz' Icon on the Tool Tray either.

@JereckNET I'm having a similar problem that just started today. I have OneDrive for Business and a separate OneDrive set up. Never had a problem until now, same error message:

markjed_0-1597378855047.png

Uninstalled and reinstalled OneDrive but no change. I'm unable to remove OneDrive for Business. Appreciate any recommendations. 

best response confirmed by JereckNET (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I manually updated the Office 365 suite (Outlook/Word/etc . .. > Account Panel > Office Updates > Update Now) and the error has gone away.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JereckNET (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I manually updated the Office 365 suite (Outlook/Word/etc . .. > Account Panel > Office Updates > Update Now) and the error has gone away.

View solution in original post