OneDrive for Business disk drive usage

Copper Contributor

I am confused as to why the files I tranfer to OneDrive for Business continues to take up storage space on my local hard drive. I thought when I transferred a file to OneDrive for both syncing between devices the process also removed the file from my local drive to conserve space. Any sugesstions will help.

Thanks

Ron

7 Replies

Dear Ronald,

in this case the files will stay. as far as i know the files will stay on the pc where they have been uploaded. And i am not sure if it is already possible to have keep remote on. if so you would see it on the other pc.

kr,

Paul

@Ronald M Jennings Sr wrote:

I thought when I transferred a file to OneDrive for both syncing between devices the process also removed the file from my local drive to conserve space.

(Emphasis added to your quote.)

How should "syncing between devices" work if there were no files that you could sync?

If you don't need to work offline (and thus don't have a need to synchronise files between your PC and the server) you could remove some of the folders from syncing. But then you'd have to access those files through the web interface.

Thank you Paul, I appreciate the response.

Hi Alexander, thank you for the response. The file is located on my local hard drive. I thought when I transfer the file from my hard drive to OneDrive that it would reside in the cloud and no loger take up space on my local drive.

Thank you

Ron

Then what you need to do is disable ODFB sync and use the web interface to "move" local files to ODFB. The end result being your files are located in the cloud.
There's often little need to sync your entire OneDrive, just pick the folders you need. I tend to only sync a working set of folders to any device..

Thanks Ian, this makes the most sense for me to do.