OneDrive Features

Copper Contributor

Hello

I was at Ignite last week and was watching a presentation on OneDrive that allows employees to sync Sharepoint sites without downloading all the content.

meaning if I have a sharepoint volume (maybe a Microsoft Team, Outlook Group or something) that has 20GB of files, but Onedrive only shows them as stubs on my desktop and represents them as cloud icon.  I can then click the file i want from the File Explorer and it will download it as needed from the cloud minimizing the space used on my hard drive.  

I can't seem to find more information about this feature. Can you help elaborate on what this feature is and where i can find it?

4 Replies

I believe you are talking about the Files On Demand feature.Still in the pipeline i believe.

@Paul Rosenberg wrote:

Hello

I was at Ignite last week and was watching a presentation on OneDrive that allows employees to sync Sharepoint sites without downloading all the content.

meaning if I have a sharepoint volume (maybe a Microsoft Team, Outlook Group or something) that has 20GB of files, but Onedrive only shows them as stubs on my desktop and represents them as cloud icon.  I can then click the file i want from the File Explorer and it will download it as needed from the cloud minimizing the space used on my hard drive.  

I can't seem to find more information about this feature. Can you help elaborate on what this feature is and where i can find it?

@Paul Rosenberg wrote:

Hello

It's available as part of the Windows Insider preview program (yes, Windows, not Office). Read here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/06/13/onedrive-files-demand-now-available-windows-i...

This is suppose to come on the Windows 10 update to be released on the 17th of October

And it will not be available in any other previous Windows version.