OneDrive.exe Versions Newer than the Current GA Version

Brass Contributor

I am seeing multiple versions of OneDrive.exe newer than the GA version floating around my organization. In addition to the GA 17.3.6743.1212 version I am also seeing versions 17.3.6764.111 and 17.3.6798.207.

I thought that the machines with the newer client were ones that previously had the TeamSiteSyncPreview registry bit flipped, but a) that registry bit no longer seems to exist on the workstations with the newer newer clients and b) it's not consistent because I have workstations that participated in the preview testing that still have the TeamSiteSyncPreview reg bit in place, but don't have the new new client.

Anyway, I'm all for rev'ing the OneDrive.exe client to shore up any issues, but I just like to know what's going on in my environments. I don't remember accepting testing terms on these workstations except for the preview flag during test.

So here are two questions and a statement. 

Question: Is anyone else seeing these new clients?

Question: Does anyone know anything about these new clients?

Statement: If you used the TeamSiteSyncPreview reg bit, and if my assumption is correct about this behavior, then you might want to keep an eye out for version changes to the OneDrive.exe client on those workstations (but it looks like the latest versions remove the TeamSiteSyncPreview node...maybe...that's a guess). Hey, maybe everything will be just fine, but I like to know what I'm walking into on a daily basis when I'm the one getting the support calls.

9 Replies

I'm starting to see the same, which is really frustrating as we have instructions out to all users that they should be on the .1212 version. Now I'm getting reports back of newer versions. I'm fine with the automated push of new versions, that is what we all signed up for on Office 365 to a degree, but at least do a quick documentation of what changed in the release notes. As of the writing of this message, this link shows the .1212 version as the latest greatest.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-b...

Agreed! OneDrive team: please, please, please keep the changelog up to date at a minimum. A heads up would be nice on the blog as well, but the changelog should always be up to date. As sysadmins we rely on this information to configure all kinds of scripts, reports, and application control policies. Thank you.
Just got the notification from my webpage scraper: It's up https://support.office.com/en-us/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-b...

Side note: would be really neat for the change log page to have RSS support.
It doesn't say much, but it's something:
>Version 17.3.6798.0207 (Released February 16, 2017)
>Critical bug fixes:
>Fixed the top issues related to sync reliability and application stability.

So the Changelog page was a little bit late. The latest version is now 17.3.6798.0207 and on 4 diffrent machines (Win 7, 8.1. and 10) this version has not removed the TeamSiteSyncPreview bit

https://hansbrender.com/2017/02/17/onedrive-for-business-new-version-17-3-6798-0207/

Hans

@Hans Brender Your graphic on your link scares me. Is that accurate that OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are going through the Office Upload Center? A sync client syncing another sync client which is then syncing documents? That seems like a disaster waiting to happen and overly complex for no reason. I'm hopeful that is just a diagram for display and not representative of actual data flow!

So look for another article: Unfortunatelly this article is only in german language.

Translation worked well enough! Thanks for this info!

Love your blog @Hans Brender, you always have very detailed summaries that are invaluable!